Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 2, 2014   #1
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Default Air Pruning and Containers.

I didn't realize at the time I installed an Alaska Grow bucket system in the greenhouse that I was getting involved with air pruning. I do know the toms are growing better than ever before, just wonderful.
My first thoughts were it was the new greenhouse. Now I wonder how much of an advantage the Grow buckets and air pruning might be having?
Anyone with experience with air pruning?
If it's as good as I think I might be tempted to add the idea to my container fruit trees.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I've got a dwarf cherry tree in a 30 gal Smart Pot. I planted it a year ago and it is doing well. I can move it into my garage in the winter. It is easy to fertilize and it drains well. I used peat, vermiculite and potting mix with about 4 inches of leaf mulch on top. I don't know how extensive the roots are at this point but the air pruning is supposed to be taking care of all the root ball issues.

I only have 1 cherry growing this year so my cherry pie is going to be a bit small. I am thinking it will take another year to really get fruit growing on the little guy. The tree is only about 5 ft tall.

Charley
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014   #3
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I used peat, vermiculite and potting mix with about 4 inches of leaf mulch on top. I don't know how extensive the roots are at this point but the air pruning is supposed to be taking care of all the root ball issues.

I only have 1 cherry growing this year so my cherry pie is going to be a bit small. I am thinking it will take another year to really get fruit growing on the little guy. The tree is only about 5 ft tall.Charley
What sort of pot do you use? Custom bought or home made?
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014   #4
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I am using a 30 gal Smart Pot. I bought it from Laurel's Heirloom Tomato Plants
http://www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/ last year. Smart Pots promote their air pruning as a major feature.

http://www.smartpots.com/
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2014   #5
topazgirl170
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I am using a 30 gal Smart Pot. I bought it from Laurel's Heirloom Tomato Plants
http://www.heirloomtomatoplants.com/ last year. Smart Pots promote their air pruning as a major feature.

http://www.smartpots.com/
I used smart pots last year and I loved them. I had excellent results and I bought more this season. I have more than 20 smarts pots.

I bought mine online and at a local grow store.
topazgirl170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #6
Whidbeydan
Tomatovillian™

Default Smart pots

Smart pots are a brand name. I've heard they work well but there may clones that are less expensive. I purchased mine from the Greenhouse Megastore at a very good price...less than half of what most sources sell Smart Pots for. I think they are recycled milk bottles (polyethylene ). I bought a couple dozen in two sizes, 15 and 10 gallon. They are very well made and have handles, great for moving them around in my greenhouse. They look and feel like felt, and plants do air prune beautifully around the circumference, but feeder roots will grow through the bottom unimpeded if you place them on soil.
Whidbeydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #7
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I use the root pouches, and they work very well. I doubt I will ever buy a regular pot again.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote