Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 30, 2015   #1
DavidHughes
Tomatovillian™

Default Pictures wanted of diseases and healthy tomatoes

Hello Tomatoville
I am one of the developers of PlantVillage (www.plantvillage.com). This is a free and open platform to share knowledge on growing food plants. As a scientists at Land Grant University I have easy access to the world's published knowledge on plant health. But most people dont! And even if they did it is not always helpful as we scientists dont always write as clearly as we could.

We need a better job of sharing information (especially as most of it was paid for by taxpayer dollars). So, we launched PlantVillage and made thousands of pages of information free and open access. We seem to have hit a chord as in under two years we have had >700,000 users from around the world.

I am writing to this excellent community because I need your help. The original dream of PlantVillage was to point a phone at a plant and get a disease diagnosis. We are now doing that. We have chosen tomatoes (of course!). We want to begin by discriminating between fungal, viral, bacterial and oomycete diseases. We are working with computer scientists who can use the images and train the computer to diagnose. (Just like the way facebook can identify who is in your photos)

To train the computer we need good images where the diseases is known. I have found about 720 images on the web. And I am running out

Do you guys have images of diseases? And healthy plants. It would be great if you knew what they were. But even if you dont we can use them.

We will not post the images on the web. We just use them on our computers to train the programs. No fame or wealth comes with sharing the images with us. Just the good feeling of making a app that will be free and help tomato growers know what is affecting their plants.

I hope you can help. Please do comment here and provide insights (you guys know tomatoes better than I). And do email images to david@plantvillage.com (my Univeristy email is dhughes@psu.edu)

And please check out of tomato page on PlantVillage https://www.plantvillage.com/en/topi...es_propagation

thanks

David Hughes
DavidHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #2
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

In the past I have only taken pictures of healthy plants but when I plant out my spring tomatoes I am sure I will have plants with issues that I can take pictures of. I did check out the tomato page and many others on Plantvillage. I did not know about the site and like it. I will share this with some my gardening friends because I know they will be interested.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2015   #3
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

David,

There are a number of photos and threads posted here about different diseases and diagnosis. I would contact Mischka, the admin, to ask him about using those photos.

I have personally posted a number of photos of CMV, TSWV, and 2-4D herbicide damage that would be good resources for you. Of course, note that none of these diagnosis of mine are professionally confirmed.

Best of luck!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease , healthy , photos