Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2015   #1
gunrunner
Tomatovillian™

Default Need suggestions for fertilizer

Greetings from Presleyville!

What do you use for fertilizer for seedlings, and when do you start to use it? Also, how much is advisable for small plants? Should I try a powder to mix with water or something else? I can get Tomatotone here but not sure if that is the right thing. Your advise would be helpful.

Thanks
Mike
Memphis
gunrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

A lot of people ask that question and as usual they’ll get a multitude of different answers based on the preferences of each grower. The first thing you’ve got to consider for yourself is what you are starting with as far as a seed starting mix. If you purchased a seed starting mix what does the manufacturer say about its ingredients? Is it an organic mix or a mix with a light starter charge of chemical salt fertilizers? Does it have any biologically active ingredients like compost or worm castings that would add nutritional value as well as beneficial microorganisms for a growing seedling? Many manufactures will design a seed starting mix with some fertilizer value so when a seedling exhausts its nutrient content from the seed the new roots will have available nutrients to take up for a few weeks after.

The second consideration is what kind of growing style do you want to use. Do you want to grow organically or with synthetic chemical salts or even both? Once you've answered those questions for yourself, then it will be a lot easier for folks to make recommendations.

Last edited by RayR; March 1, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #3
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I use aquarium water on seedlings. They don't need much else. Tomato tone, Texas tomato food etc... etc ad infinitum compost and such are good for once the seedlings hit the soil IMHO. Too easy to over fertilize seedlings. Best to take it easy at least till the baby leaves drop.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #4
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

After mine have a few true leaves I give them 1/2 strength Miracle grow or other water soluble fertilizer about once a week. I'm not sure they need it but it makes me feel better.

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

usually I don't fertilize them at all until they are in the ground. Last year was an exception, as I had to put off setting them out more than three weeks because of the weather, so I gave them a bit of liquid mix while they were waiting. Peter's tomato food something like that. The mix is red colored.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I fertilize with a VERY WEAK kelp mix once they are potted up, and very 10 days after. VERY WEAK!
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #7
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Alaskan Fish or Fish Emulsion is a popular choice. It's forgiving if you use too much.

I have good results with "blue stuff," which can be Miracle Grow or any other brand, but it works because I know to use only a teeny-tiny amount. People run into problems by using too much.

Osmocote is another very popular fertilizer. I have used it a lot. It is in the form of pellets that are coated so they release their nutrients over 3-6 months. Even if the plant isn't going to stay in the pot that long, the Osmocote will become lodged in the root ball and continue to feed the seedling after transplant into the garden.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #8
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link that might interest.

Ami

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=22165
Old March 2, 2015   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Use one big package of Miracle Grow fertilizer to 1 gallon of water.

Water small plants thoroughly one time.

Your plants will die 100 times faster than the next leading brand.
You should see results over night.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #10
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

I feed mine fish emulsion solution for the first time when I up pot them from the starter trays.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote