Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 1, 2015   #1
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default NoDampOff: Anyone try this stuff?

I saw ,and bought a bag of NoDampOff from the nursery this weekend. It is ground up long fiber Wisconsin Sphagnum moss. It allegedly helps prevent damping off disease. I have never actually had a problem with this disease with any seeds other than one--Himalayan Blue Poppy. Nine years later and they still croak every year. So yeah I spend $7 on 3.6L of NoDampOff to see if it helps.

Since I have it on hand I've also applied it to the pots where I am starting herbs and peppers. Just did it yesterday so it is not too late to rip it off if one of you tells me I have made a biiiiiig mistake.

It does make the seed starting containers look very neat. Here is hoping that it does no harm!

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I put my moistened starting mix in a big Rubbermaid tub, then put it I. The microwave to bring it up to 180℉. I don't have problems with damping off.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
I saw ,and bought a bag of NoDampOff from the nursery this weekend. It is ground up long fiber Wisconsin Sphagnum moss. It allegedly helps prevent damping off disease. I have never actually had a problem with this disease with any seeds other than one--Himalayan Blue Poppy. Nine years later and they still croak every year. So yeah I spend $7 on 3.6L of NoDampOff to see if it helps.

Since I have it on hand I've also applied it to the pots where I am starting herbs and peppers. Just did it yesterday so it is not too late to rip it off if one of you tells me I have made a biiiiiig mistake.

It does make the seed starting containers look very neat. Here is hoping that it does no harm!

Stacy
Stacy most folks think that keeping the germination mix too wet is what causes damping off, and yes, that can turn the seedling a yellow color which is not good. I'm only speaking of tomatoes here b/c I have no idea whatsoever of what might cause damping off with herbs, etc, for I never saw it when I was growing herbs, peppers, etc.

But damping off can only occur if one or more genera and species that can cause damping off is already in the mix and then you see that ASAP after the seeds germinate there's a brown consticted area at the soil line and the seeds fall over and die. Such damping off can also be seen with seedlings up to about 5 inches tall.

it's known that some of that moss from Canada already has some of those fungi as sold, but I can't speak to your WI moss.

All to say that I can't see how the moss you bought can prevent damping off all by itself since it's the fungi in the sowing mix that's the problem .

Carolyn
Old March 1, 2015   #4
cippoli
Tomatovillian™

Stacy--I have been using NoDampOff on my seeds starting trays for about
30 years. I grow 100s of plants that I sell. I can't swear the the NDO is the
reason I never have damp off but I like it.
And I don't follow most of the "rules" folks have about seed starting
I water from the top,I don't sterilize any pots and I soak my growing medium
then squeeze out most of the water .- I use Pro Mix BX

The way I use NDO --After my trays are filled I sprinkle my seeds on top,
then I sift the NDO over the seeds with a flour sifter , then with a very fine
mister I dampen the NDO. Stick the tray in a clear baggie then on to the heat mat

Fred
cippoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2015   #5
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cippoli View Post
Stacy--I have been using NoDampOff on my seeds starting trays for about
30 years. I grow 100s of plants that I sell. I can't swear the the NDO is the
reason I never have damp off but I like it.
And I don't follow most of the "rules" folks have about seed starting
I water from the top,I don't sterilize any pots and I soak my growing medium
then squeeze out most of the water .- I use Pro Mix BX

The way I use NDO --After my trays are filled I sprinkle my seeds on top,
then I sift the NDO over the seeds with a flour sifter , then with a very fine
mister I dampen the NDO. Stick the tray in a clear baggie then on to the heat mat

Fred
Thank you Fred!

I like pre-moistened Pro-Mix as well. I do sterilize pots out of habit but just with a quick soak in 10% bleach. I am much smaller scale than you so its not big deal to fill up the tub and give them a soak. Well except for the resulting tub ring. lol

I like the idea of sifting NDO finer. It is already pretty fine but with the teeny seeds I think that would be a good idea. Thanks so much for the information. I am happy to see someone in my area has not had any issues with it, so I am going to leave it in place and see how it goes. I am going to do a side by side comparison with my purple potato seeds and see if it makes a difference.

Stacy
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #6
birdermom
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone used chicken grit around their plants or cinnamon sprinkled on the soil? I am just beginning to vegetable garden, so don't have any experience, but raised hosta, shade plants from seed this way for years with no damping off....
birdermom is offline   Reply With Quote