Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 2, 2015   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna Mattingly View Post
I started over one hundred seeds today - but now find I might have gone against the "signs", with March 1 - 3, 2015 being - from what I'm now reading - among the *worst* times to plant. What if I simply leave the seeds in place and avoid watering until the signs are more favorable? (Hope no one thinks I'm crazy, but I need all the help I can get here!)

Hi Donna,

If you do some searching among older threads, you'll find that some of us swear by the "signs" and some of us ignore them completely, yet we all manage to grow stuff!

As for you seeds - are they sitting in completely dry starting mix? If you added any water, then I would suggest watering them well and letting them do their thing.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #17
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I started over one hundred seeds today - but now find I might have gone against the "signs", with March 1 - 3, 2015 being - from what I'm now reading - among the *worst* times to plant. What if I simply leave the seeds in place and avoid watering until the signs are more favorable? (Hope no one thinks I'm crazy, but I need all the help I can get here!)

If you're talking about planting by the moon, that's been proven over and over again to be a fallacy based on a poor understanding of how the tides work.

Water your seeds, once they're in the soil they need water.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #18
Donna Mattingly
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I was referring to planting by the signs, as shown here: http://farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/

March 1 - 5 is considered a very barren period for planting. I don't like to work against Mother Nature! A lot of the older farmers in my area "swear" by the signs. Now that I already have my seeds in the planting medium, though, it sounds like I need to go on ahead and water them well.
Donna Mattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I remember the old timers like my dad always planting during the moon phases.
Well the moon is in the foot or hoof or something like that.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #20
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, I was referring to planting by the signs, as shown here: http://farmersalmanac.com/calendar/gardening/

March 1 - 5 is considered a very barren period for planting. I don't like to work against Mother Nature!
You're not. You're working against an ingrained superstition supported by confirmation bias, correlation and causation confusion, and a misunderstanding of how water moves in soils.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #21
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

The only moon stuff I've paid attention to is that I have noticed that if is cold around the time of the full moon closest to our Last Frost Date, that is when it will freeze. So I generally wait until after the full moon closest to our expected Last Frost Date. But it really has more to do with weather patterns than with any moon influence.
Old March 2, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Planting by the moon is a personal decision made by people based on their personal beliefs.
These personal ideologies are not to be infringed upon by either federal state or local governments nor by ones peers.
These ideologies and rights we therefore hold scared in our great land.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote