Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 2, 2015   #1
gregory
Tomatovillian™

Default Separating sweet banana and bell peppers

I read Craig's thread on dense planting and his videos on repotting which were very informative. Since peppers are in the nightshade family are they similar Where you have a few plants in a small cell and you can seperate and repot?

Or would it best to clip off the weakest and leave one per cell and repot.
I am using the 72 cell for the 1020 tray
Old March 2, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
I read Craig's thread on dense planting and his videos on repotting which were very informative. Since peppers are in the nightshade family are they similar Where you have a few plants in a small cell and you can seperate and repot?

I think it's good to remember that Craig developed his dense planting method b'c for many years he was selling many hundreds of plants at the Raleigh, NC Farmer's Market.

I can't remember off hand if he was also selling peppers as well and used the same method, especially if he was selling hot peppers which have much longer germination times.

For many years I was growing many hundreds of plants and varieties of tomatoes but I wasn't selling seedlings at all, just growing them to look at new varieties and saving seed for my SSE listings as well as my annual seed offers.

So I never used a dense planting method.

Carolyn
Old March 2, 2015   #3
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Do whatever suits your needs. They are not difficult to separate, but if you have what you need, and seed is cheap, go ahead and clip them. Pretty sure you don't need to feel guilty.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2015   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post

I have used Craigs method with peppers. Works just fine.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote