Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 26, 2015   #16
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
I've grown it a couple of times without much luck, but love the taste.

Now that you've reminded me, I may try them again this year. Three's a charm they say.
Maybe try a hoop house. It likes it pretty hot, although in AZ, I did better growing in some shade. It was one of the few things that I could grow through summer there.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2015   #17
mouka_f_slouka
Tomatovillian™

In Morocco their name is actually an expletive in the English language. At least parts of it. They are called "Fagoos". The "g" is emphatic. The name implies a big difference from everyday cucumbers. In Morocco cucumbers are a lottery business. You can end up with a sweet variety or a bitter one that is almost not edible. But the "Fagoos" is always delicious. Now that someone has pointed to the fact that it's actually a variety of melons. It makes perfect sense. Traditionally if you eat a melon that is not sweet, you always say "It tastes like Fagoos". I honestly have never ever made the connection between the two plants. I just thought that it was a common Moroccan saying. Well it just goes to say that some things are always a mystery until someone explains them to you and the light bulbs upstairs turns on.
Thanks for whomever made the connection with the melons. I think I will order some seeds for this variety of cucumbers and see if I get lucky with them.
One last detail: In the Chicago area they are known as "Persian cucumbers". Go figure!

Last edited by mouka_f_slouka; March 26, 2015 at 08:32 PM.
mouka_f_slouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #18
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Muka, there are certain melons that are NOT bitter when young (seeds still soft). Probably Persian Honey Dew is one of them.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #19
akaRach
Tomatovillian™

We love them here! Unfortunately it hasn't been warm enough the past two summers or so for them to actually grow or fruit. They did ok in the green house. And I have to cover them until fruiting or the cucumber beetles eat them down to nubs :/
akaRach is offline   Reply With Quote