Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 4, 2015   #16
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Default Neigh

Unless you are sure that the horses have not been fed hay treated with herbicide, I would skip it. If it has been treated you will be harming your soil in ways that are not easily reversed.

Sadly manure is not the sure thing awesome amendment that it once was.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #17
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I've used a lot of it. Just do a sprouting test with a bean first before putting it in your beds.
I completely filled my raised beds in AZ with it. The year there was nothing but horse poop I had my best garden ever.
One way to use up some of the nitrogen if it seems to hot is to grow corn and squash in it first.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2015   #18
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I pretty much think you can't go wrong with aged horse manure...unless the horses were fed herbicide laced hay....
Yep. Before you spread the stuff all over the garden, best to pot up a few bean seeds in the horse manure just to check that it is OK. If the bean seedlings show herbicide damage, you will thank me.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote