Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2015   #1
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Default Help! This is a new one for me.

I think it is edema but not 100% sure. It is only on a couple of plants per 18 tray of seedlings. They are still indoors and i cant find any sign of infestation. The only bugs i see are a few random fungus gnat which are normal around here. What are your thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img20150409_060306.jpg (295.1 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg img20150409_060344.jpg (289.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg img20150409_060331.jpg (303.1 KB, 149 views)
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Sure does look like Edema, a very extreme case too.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Its weird to i only had to over water them once when i went to disneyland for only 2 days. I saw it last night and freaked out. Segregated all with signs just in case. It seemed to effect all the wild varieties the worst. It makes sense since they require much less water.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
Old April 9, 2015   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Wow is right. Nothing other than edema springs to mind.
Good call on segregating them.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #5
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Let me ask :

How many plants are you growing side by side ?
How many of them show this symptom ?

If this is the only one in the bunch, I would doubt that it is a case of EDEMA.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #6
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have 90 in this batch under this particular grow light. I have a fan on one end of the rack and a wall on the other most of the effected ones were against the wall will a few from each flat in between the fan and the wall. The ones directly in front of the fan have no signs of this on them but i assume it is because the fan dried out their soil faster but that is just a guess.
Old April 9, 2015   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I had 2 out of a bunch in a tray last year that had some Edema. The humidity can get pretty high sometimes around plants that are real close together without good air flow.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Looks like your plants need a tube of Clearasil acne medicine.

Your plants really have it bad. At least edema is not like a virus or a bacteria. Looks bad on the plant though.

Here's some ways to help prevent it.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/oldnotes/gp3.htm

Poor plants, I hope you can get it cleared up.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

What a timely post... I was potting up tomatoes today and found a couple of plants with the same wierd symptoms - not nearly as extreme as your picture but one of those ???? scary mysteries... better isolate these from the pack.

After reading the link on edema, it makes perfect sense... poor little tomatoes on a windowledge in an unheated room, just heated by the fluorescent light above em, except when the sun blazes for an hour. Pretty cold, and the dratted potting mix doesn't drain well, and yes, there are some fungus gnats about as well.

Luckily the 'isolation room' is actually a much warmer and even temperatured place.. so if it's just edema I guess they'll have a chance to start to grow normally...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote