Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 1, 2015   #1
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Default Hope/Help for these sick seedlings?

Hi, folks. 90 seedlings, sown 21 March, grown under lights in basement, transplanted into cups on 15 April, moved to greenhouse 28 April. I followed same procedure I’ve used for decades (temps in the mid 60s, good light, gentle fan, no damping off), but I’ve never seen such weak, sickly plants, now about 6 weeks old. I’d hoped to plant them out three weeks or so from now.

All the yellowing suggests overwatering. The only difference this year was that I used a potting mix that—I just discovered—contains “Moisture Pro” water holding crystals which I hadn’t noticed. (It also contains some nutrients, 0.18/ 0-.06/ 0.12). In the past I’ve used Pro-Mix without problems. If all this water retention is the problem, I’m wondering if I can get these seedlings back to health by repotting the entire lot, into, say Pro-Mix. I would very much appreciate any help with the diagnosis and also the Rx, if any. At this point, they look like they’re on their way out. Pics follow. Many thanks, Gary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015 05 01_0039.JPG (207.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 2015 05 01_0040.JPG (205.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 2015 05 01_0043.JPG (240.3 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by GaryStPaul; May 1, 2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: resize images
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #2
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Are holes on these, maybe “Moisture Pro”
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #3
GaryStPaul
Tomatovillian™

Not sure I understand your question, Filmnet.
GaryStPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yes, repotting will help, I agree that Promix is excellent. Then throw that moisture control stuff away! after you repot, water with a solution of 1 Tbsp epsom salt in a gallon of water. They'll be bright green again in about 2 days, you'll see some difference even after 24 hrs. Definitely it's overwatering, good call!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Gary,
Did you pop a few of the sick looking ones out of the cups to see if the roots are too wet?
Did you add any nutrients?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #6
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

For tomatoes and peppers ... after they get their 2nd leaves, don't water them until you see the surface soil crack (or close to that) .... when my cups feel like air when I pick them up, I give them a good soaking and they usually go another week before watering again.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

The problem isn't the moisture control soil mix itself, the problem is over watering it.
In my dry prairie climate, I use and really like moisture control potting mix but the humidity even in my closed greenhouse never exceeds 50% in the spring. Also, poke some extra drainage holes in the solo cups. I use 4 or 6 inch greenhouse style actual plant pots with large, proper drainage holes so that may help as well. I wouldn't be so fast to blame the mix if using in beer cups without large drainage holes...
At this point though, repotting will help your waterlogged babies. fertilize when you do repot and they should perk up. Best wishes
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; May 1, 2015 at 09:11 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #8
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
The problem isn't the moisture control soil mix itself, the problem is over watering it.
In my dry prairie climate, I use and really like moisture control potting mix but the humidity even in my closed greenhouse never exceeds 50% in the spring. Also, poke some extra drainage holes in the solo cups. I use 4 or 6 inch greenhouse style actual plant pots with large, proper drainage holes so that may help as well. I wouldn't be so fast to blame the mix if using in beer cups without large drainage holes...
At this point though, repotting will help your waterlogged babies. fertilize when you do repot and they should perk up. Best wishes
KarenO
Absolutely, you need holes in the cups (I assume he did that already). I poke about 20 small holes with in the bottom, not large holes where I would have soil loss.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote