Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 28, 2015   #1
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Default Newbs Fertilization Schedule

I'm still new to this and making adjustments as I go. As an exclusive container grower using only fabric pots I thought I'd share what it is I'm doing so some may copy my success OR avoid my failure...Time will tell.
-
So far so good and here's the basics of my garden.
-
Plants:

Quality nursery clone stock X7
Seed grown x4
-
Containers:
"Dirt-pots" in 20-25-30 gallon size.

Tip: Since some of my plants are on concrete, I've purchase 14" square pathway stones. It's very porous which will aid in draining plus they elevate my pots off the concrete and will act as heat-sinks when summer comes.

Soil(s):
Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Unigrow mixed at 1 Ocean Forest to 2 Unigrow...I also used a bit of another soil but it leaches brown and makes my lanai look bad plus it smelled strongly of what I would describe as aromatic cedar...Not thinking it would be good for plants, I quit using it. However, the one plant that is in it is thriving.

Fertilizers:

Tomato Maker
Fox Farm Grow Big
Fox Farm Tiger Bloom
Neptune's Harvest
-

Fertilization strategy:

All the young started off with Tomato Maker for the mineral content. Wanted to get them off to a healthy start. Followed label instructions and applied after transplant from solo sized cup.

Hit with Grow Big after the first month for a couple of weeks to establish good, healthy foliage. Applied at 1.5 teaspoons per gallon which is less than the label. Applied every other watering or so.

At 3 weeks, applied another round of Tomato Maker

Then followed up about 2 weeks later with Neptunes harvest to round things out...This after a fair amount of rain.

Plants were insistent on flowering so moved off of Grow Big and switched to Tiger Bloom. Again, less than the label at 1.5 tsp per gallon...Every other watering for a couple of weeks.

Thinking about another application of Tomato Maker *but* will probably just use straight water for the next 2-3 watering to give the plants a bit of a flush. Not sure how this stuff accumulates in the soil...The plants are thriving and not showing any deficiencies. I don't see them getting much healthier and fear the next stop would be nute-burn or lockout. Remembering that I used premium soil, there's plenty of nutes to keep them rolling along over the next week or so. Will gently begin the cycle again:

Tomato Maker followed 2 weeks later by Neptune's Harvest 1/8 cup per gallon and Tiger Bloom ~2x a week low concentration...Back to Tomato Maker 2 weeks after Neptunes harvest. But again, this is all subjective to what the plants are telling me and what the weather does.

In hind sight, aside from the minerals in Tomato Maker...I don't really see a reason to fertilize anything under a foot tall. Not a lot going on yet so requirements would obviously be satisfied by the soil for the first month or so. At least one would think.

I seem to water at this point about twice a week, when the summer hits it will most likely be every other day. I don't apply ferts back to back...Always have a thorough watering between applications.

Suggestions are way more than welcome.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2015   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Solid sounding plan. I've had nothing but great results using ocean forest and other fox farms products in the past.

And agree that ocean forest is plenty for plants under a foot tall. It's a "hot" mixture which is perfect for heavy feeding tomato plants. No experience with Unigrow or Tomato Maker though

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2015   #3
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input TightenUp, much appreciated!
-
As for the Unigrow, I find that it has a much lower concentration of perlite to FF heavy handed perlite so they seem to balance out well.

Last edited by Kikaida; May 28, 2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Update
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote