Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 3, 2015   #1
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Default foliar disease on sungold

There are 7 tomato plants in the planter and only sungold is affected. The plant has been out in the planter for two weeks. Leaves at all levels (new, old, small, large) show these small gray/brown spots. There was heavy rain for last couple of days. (3+ inches in two days) Is this a disease? What action is recommended?

tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Looks like the start of Powdery Mildew. Never seen it here but I know it has become a problem in the New England states at least.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #3
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

hmm, cukes are showing a similar but more pronounced pattern. Three days of incessant rain brought issues

Will need to start a srpaying regimen. Planning to alternate milk and excel LG
Old June 3, 2015   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Not sure what did that to the cucumber leaf. Look at the bottom of the leaf to see if there is anything there. It might not be a pathogen at all, it might be just physical damage from the pounding rains. If you can take photos of both the top and bottom of the leaves it can many times be very helpful to diagnose problems.

Excel LG is only effective against oomycetes pathogens. As an example, it would be effective against Downy Mildew but not effective against Powdery Mildew which is a true fungus.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #5
maf
Tomatovillian™

The tomato looks like it is suffering from nutrient deficiency, maybe magnesium, maybe something else. The heavy rain may have leached out the nutrients or alternatively made the soil too wet for optimum root function.

The way the spots are positioned in the interveinal spaces shows that it is caused by something affecting the vascular system rather than a purely foliar disease like powdery mildew. A fungal leaf infection would not stay away from the veins.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #6
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

After closer inspection, I noticed that other tomatoes also have similar issue, just a lot less noticeable. So hoping that its just temporary problem with way too much rain.

RayR, i will look at both sides of the cuke leaf tomorrow and take pictures. There are 4 cuke plants in two SWC pots (poona kheera and armenian cucumber) and all 4 show the same thing . So I am tempted to think that its a similar problem to tomatoes of temporary lack of nutrition due to high water content in the soil.
Old June 4, 2015   #7
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

We just had 4 days of rain in a row and I will get some leaves that look like yours. I grow in containers and it sure doesn't take long for nutrients to disappear. After many days of rain, I give mine Epsom Salt and I been using that Tomato Tone product that Ray recommended. Let me tell you, that is some of the best stuff. When we have so many days of rain and with the heat and humidity you can really see nutrient deficiencies show up. I just go out and side dress with some more of Ray's Tomato Tone and Epsom Salt and in a couple of days the plants are healthy looking again. This year the plants are some of the healthiest I have ever grown using that combo.

There is also something in that Tomato Tone that is helping keep the bad bugs away too.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote