Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 15, 2015   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Like "MAF" said, there are different kinds if dwarfs ( det, indet, short, tall)
For example I am growing a Polish Dwarf( in container) that is already close to 4 ft tall, just like most indets in the garden. Then I have once that is about 14" tall (HGT). The rest of them (about 8) are somewhere in between those two.

Even determinans need some control. For example : My Siletz already have 4-5 stems . Now they keep growing new shoots. I prune those and let the 4 -5 stems get to work. It is similar in some dwarfs. JMO
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #17
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Even determinans need some control.
Only from the growers point of view. The plant would much prefer the grower let it do what comes naturally. But if you don't care about all the lost fruit, it is your choice.

Quote:
I am growing a Polish Dwarf( in container) that is already close to 4 ft tall, just like most indets in the garden.
Well it would be quite unusual for a Polish Dwarf to reach that height. Perhpas it isn't getting enough sun exposure. Do you mean your indeterminates are only 4 feet tall and you consider them to be out of bounds at that height? 4 feet is quite short for most indeterminates.

dave
digsdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2015   #18
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by digsdirt View Post
Only from the growers point of view. The plant would much prefer the grower let it do what comes naturally. But if you don't care about all the lost fruit, it is your choice.

Well it would be quite unusual for a Polish Dwarf to reach that height. Perhpas it isn't getting enough sun exposure. Do you mean your indeterminates are only 4 feet tall and you consider them to be out of bounds at that height? 4 feet is quite short for most indeterminates.

dave
JUST ABOUT PD.

Dave , you are right about the size. I did a quick search. The tallest number was 42"...
It seems that either I got the wrong the seed or i messed up in tagging (likely).
Mine does not have rugose leaves ... leaves are normal RL.
I will wit until I get fruits.
And it is in the same are with 5 other dwarfs, that are under 2 ft at the moment.
The rest of my plants range in height from 30" to 60" so far, depending on the variety.
They have been planted out about 2 months ago.

About pruning, No further comments .

Last edited by Gardeneer; June 16, 2015 at 01:00 AM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote