Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 16, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Running a Fan

It's just plain too..too hot.

My tomatoes are looking good thanks to folks here and I have them on regular schedules for ferts and water. Now we in the triple digits and humidity is so oppressive. Not a touch of a breeze. If I can barely stand to breath, my tomatoes struggling too.

I have one of them about 4 feet oscillating fans and was gonna turn it on for my tomatoes.

How long can it blow air on the plants? Is there a point to where to much air blowing on them is too much? Does it mater at which part of the plant it is aimed at?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #2
UFXEFU
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes need air circulation, but have never heard of using a fan. I space my plants at least 3 feet apart for good air circulation from natures wind.
UFXEFU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #3
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Green houses use fans as a matter of necessity...If you're experiencing a green house type weather event, a fan can only help. If its that humid, I wouldn't worry too much about drying things out too much. Seeing how most bad stuff works from the bottom up, I'd have it pointed lower if that was the only option...or where the plants are densest. Not an expert with tomatoes but I know fungi pretty well. Still, warm, damp air = Happy Fungus.
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2015   #4
HydroExplorer
Tomatovillian™

An added bonus of running a fan is you're giving more CO2 circulation over the leaves which means more photosynthesis.
HydroExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote