Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 5, 2015   #1
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Default Little Bells Tomato

Howdy,

I'm planning to try Little Bells tomato, which I purchased from Double Helix Seeds. I've heard that it's very good. Anyone here have experience with it? I'd like to know just how large the plant grows and anything special about required support. Any comments on flavor or uses would be welcome .

George
Tahlequah, OK
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year. It is a small plant under 4 ft. tall. I had it in a line of plants supported with Florida Weave. It produced really nice round, red tomatoes all season that had intense tomato flavor. It was pretty early. I got my seeds from Double Helix, too.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #3
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. That is precisely the kind of information I was hoping for!
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2015   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I love the name! Sounds cute.
Old March 5, 2015   #5
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Same here, small container plant, good producer, not too sweet. Same seed source.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Little Bells this season too. So far I'm impressed with the cold tolerance and it is one of the earliest as well. Cheerful plant, never curling or wilting whether cold, hot, wet, dry.. at least that's my impression.

Little Bells is sharing a container with Mr. Bruno, and it is the smaller and earlier plant of the two. Bruno didn't complain but also didn't set his first cluster in the colder weather, so not as tolerant of the spring weather but ready to make up for it with many more fruiting branches. LB is also putting out the bush to make more.

Also for comparison, I'm growing another deteminate Jagodka, which is not nearly as early as Little Bells in the conditions here. I tried Jagodka indoors one late winter and found it to be super early but in 'real' conditions it isn't performing as expected. Jagodka does have a lot of big clusters and it is starting to grow the fruit - they're about the size of a large pea at biggest now, while Mr. Bruno is a little bigger approaching grape size, and the first fruits on Little Bells are about an inch across.

Last edited by bower; June 17, 2015 at 07:06 AM.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote