Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2015   #91
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
woaaa you are quite along using the green house compared to me ....

do you have second or later inter crop starting as well ??

terminal bud ...by Summer Solstice June 21 ....its like it is all down hill from there geese

good timing as far as the plant is concerned ...with decreasing photoperiod and resulting hormones kicking in.

Was that terminal bud by June 21 by culture intention ???? like Bulls eye ? for your area ?
BB, that's hilarious. I don't know what they will do by when, let alone plan it.

I do start as early as I can depending on the weather. Start in house under lights in March. Plant out early may and they have to endure some cold. I need plants that will set a full crop before mid July, because we (usually) get some weeks then when the greenhouse is too hot and they are dropping their blossoms - after that it's just too late to be starting new fruit as things go downhill in a hurry.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #92
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Just saw today that the Azoychka plant at my parents' home also have a terninating megabloom in the first cluster / stem
Actually, it terminates with a leaf above the cluster.. just like my Khurma plant
It seems they are throwing a real show for us this year.

(Another stem took over next to it at the 'fork', so growth continues as normal,,, just not on that first and original one)...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #93
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Just saw today that the Azoychka plant at my parents' home also have a terninating megabloom in the first cluster / stem
Actually, it terminates with a leaf above the cluster.. just like my Khurma plant
It seems they are throwing a real show for us this year.

(Another stem took over next to it at the 'fork', so growth continues as normal,,, just not on that first and original one)...
And I also knew I had seen several of these determinate-like clusters ending in a leaf this year, where they shouldn't be (on indeterminates), and indeed I found one this morning on a red X yellow F2, although in the second not the first cluster. So this abnormality isn't exclusive to black fruit.

It would have been unlikely to find something "determinate" gene related and linked to gf, in any case, since gf is on chromosome 8 and sp is on chromosome 6. Not that I have a clue what else is on chromosome 8 that may be growth habit related. No idea, really.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2015   #94
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
BB, that's hilarious. I don't know what they will do by when, let alone plan it.

I do start as early as I can depending on the weather. Start in house under lights in March. Plant out early may and they have to endure some cold. I need plants that will set a full crop before mid July, because we (usually) get some weeks then when the greenhouse is too hot and they are dropping their blossoms - after that it's just too late to be starting new fruit as things go downhill in a hurry.
Ok , Ok ,

out of control ...busted .....glad I could make you laugh.

It is dangerous being a Black bear with a lot of "gall " to ask questions around here especially as I live on the trans-Pacific/Asia trading route. ha ha ha

Amazing enough though I am sure we have most different conditions ....but still much of the same problems for the coastal cool temp culture it is most interesting to me .

I start a small second crop of the extra early container determinates between may 15 -June 1 (seedlings)(late ) and I am able to utilize them later after the "Main Season " and even move them inside if they need to finish off ....this year I am trying the late start with Extreme bush ..as it is most prolific with volunteers as well .

ah ha I gotcha about Mid July I think here ..it is frustrating for outside as really my target is

august 20...and then some years it can be all over and not worth it to keep the plants struggling through the cold and wet ....but some years if one has a nice dry spell
we can extend the fruit on the vines till end of Sept......but do not count on it !..(August 15 is the safe date )