Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2015   #1
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Default Late Planting Of A Determinate Variety In Containers

Neighbor down the alley has awesome garden.

Has 70 plants. Big fan of the "Bush" varieties. Namely Bush Goliath.

Has greenhouse and knows how to use it. He is 80ish and his skills are black belt ninja master level.

Sees me...low level white belt walking down alley all innocent like..

"hey neighbor you want some tomato plants?"

"yesss.."

THEY ARE SEEDLINGS THAT ARE TWO FOOT TALL STARTED LIKE 2 MONTHS AGO

I have no more room in the garden so I procure six 5 gallon buckets and no cost..I have this skill. I can procure buckets on June 28. Yesss I can!

Tee Hee!

12 bucks on the cheapest potting soil the local Baumgaurs has..

I greedily dig deep into the black dirt and growl as I throw out sticks! Yesss I will plant these babies deep! As deep as I can in a bucket so they will make root and so they can produce the red gold I so cherish!

Tee Hee!

And then as I lay down to nap that afternoon...I see my black fingernails and think those are DETERMINATES!

he gave me 1 celebrity and 5 bush early girls taht he had as as spares..none of his precious GOLIATHS!

DETERMINATES!

Can they grow to a spindly 24ish inches in styrofoam cups since late April and then go into luscious soil in the last days of June..all they way buried to the top leaves with smaller suckers pruned!?

STAY TUNED
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Ahhhhh. Was going along enjoying the story and now have to wait for the sequel. Oh well. I sure they do ok for you after all that. Doesn't it get cold early in Nebraska? I can't wait to see what happens. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2015   #3
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Ahhhhh. Was going along enjoying the story and now have to wait for the sequel. Oh well. I sure they do ok for you after all that. Doesn't it get cold early in Nebraska? I can't wait to see what happens. : )

They've been in the buckets for a week. I could take a pic of them if you like.

I'm worried because they are determinates that they were in the styrofoam cup to long and have already set themselves to self-destruct as the top node(not sure if I said that right) is a flower.

I'm not actually sure if what I am saying is understandable. They were pruned and planted deep like any spindly seedling should be but I just don't know if this will work on a determinate variety. They should have been in the ground a month ago by my reckoning.

I have little experience with determinates and even less with containers.

I will learn something from this and I want to learn it right.
Old July 3, 2015   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

If you are growing in containers, imo, potting MIX is the only way to go. You can DIY a MIX yourself with peat as most of it (lots of recipes on here) but potting SOIL is usually too heavy. I have pics of my urban container RGGS garden and its all in 5 gallon buckets.
Old July 3, 2015   #5
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
If you are growing in containers, imo, potting MIX is the only way to go. You can DIY a MIX yourself with peat as most of it (lots of recipes on here) but potting SOIL is usually too heavy. I have pics of my urban container RGGS garden and its all in 5 gallon buckets.

Maybe it was potting mix. Don't remember what the bags said.

I'll go look when I swing by the store to get some licorice.