Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 2, 2015   #31
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I just put the fish fry on my shopping list.
I tried to catch some bass yesterday but they just weren't biting. I really need to filet blue gills, we have far too many. i can hardly catch a catfish, between the bluegill stealing my bait and the turtles getting caught on it.
Get Louisiana Chicken Fry if you can. Don't have all that pepper!

TEE HEE!
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2015   #32
Kudzu
Tomatovillian™

I love fried green tomatoes, as long as I am not using my tomatoes. Just can't bring myself to use my own, I like them red and juicy.
Kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #33
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I just put the fish fry on my shopping list.
I tried to catch some bass yesterday but they just weren't biting. I really need to filet blue gills, we have far too many. i can hardly catch a catfish, between the bluegill stealing my bait and the turtles getting caught on it.
Why waste time fishing for bass when you can catch bulegills. They sure taste better. Just scale them gut them and remove the heads. Salt heavily then shake in some cornmeal and fry in very hot peanut oil til they float or til they are as crispy as you like.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Why waste time fishing for bass when you can catch bulegills. They sure taste better. Just scale them gut them and remove the heads. Salt heavily then shake in some cornmeal and fry in very hot peanut oil til they float or til they are as crispy as you like.

Bill
I had a friend that had a commercial license to net fish.
He was hired to put out gill nets at a country club that had a lake.
He would come home with a pickup truck load of pan fish that were huge.
I would help him clean the things and come home with a ton of the things.
I miss my friend he passed away too soon in life from leukemia.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #35
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post

Bill
Will definetly try that. Although we love eating bass and catfish. I can't talk my husband into even being around me if I eat whole fish like that but we had a work fish fry last week and the whole bream was delicious.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #36
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Salt - Definitely try gazpacho! We had it in Southern Spain, Costa Del Sol area and were so taken by it that we make it every year. There is nothing quite like it on a 103 degree day to be delicious, filling and cool. It isn't hard to make and it keeps well for a few days in the fridge. We like to finish it/top it with a big of pesto and good EVOO. However, there are many different little flourishes that add complexity and a different flavor to this delicious summer treat.

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Will definetly try that. Although we love eating bass and catfish. I can't talk my husband into even being around me if I eat whole fish like that but we had a work fish fry last week and the whole bream was delicious.
Where I used to live there was an old guy that supplemented his income by selling catfish fillets under the table.
Not everybody was welcome.
We would go to his house in the woods and he would give us what we called bones.
We would also buy fillets too.
They were the left overs from the fillets, we would have a party drink beer and fry up the bones to snack on.
There would be in the neighborhood of 25 tom 50 people there along with the kids.

MLK's birthday and June 19th were extra big days that we would do it.
No matter what day they fell on I would take off work for these events to the shock of my co-workers.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #38
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
Salt - Definitely try gazpacho! We had it in Southern Spain, Costa Del Sol area and were so taken by it that we make it every year. There is nothing quite like it on a 103 degree day to be delicious, filling and cool. It isn't hard to make and it keeps well for a few days in the fridge. We like to finish it/top it with a big of pesto and good EVOO. However, there are many different little flourishes that add complexity and a different flavor to this delicious summer treat.

Dewayne Mater
Yes, it is a delicious treat - a drinkable salad, if you will. Preparing it however requires attention to details, to make sure the taste is right - I have learned it needs plenty of lemon/lime juice and good vinegar so it won't taste bland. It takes some effort to get the flavor combo right.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #39
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Where I used to live there was an old guy that supplemented his income by selling catfish fillets under the table.
We would go to his house in the woods and he would give us what we called bones.
They were the left overs from the fillets, we would have a party drink beer and fry up the bones to snack on.
There would be in the neighborhood of 25 tom 50 people there along with the kids.

No matter what day they fell on I would take off work for these events to the shock of my co-workers.
While many people prefer fillets, to people that know about real fish taste the best pieces are off the bones.
For those that do not know what I am talking about, compare chicken breast to meat off the bones. Now you know what you missing.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #40
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth, you never fail to surprise me. I bet yall had a great Juneteenth too!
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #41
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
While many people prefer fillets, to people that know about real fish taste the best pieces are off the bones.
For those that do not know what I am talking about, compare chicken breast to meat off the bones. Now you know what you missing.
I know exactly what you mean.
I'll be off work for a month or two,soon. I'll see if I can eat plenty of bluegill for lunch or breakfast while hubby is at work.
Anybody want some turtles? I have hundreds!:
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #42
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Tracy
If you mean snapping turtles, they are great to eat. Our season came in the middle of June. We use jug lines and bait with cut carp or chicken wings. These critters are voracious feeders and will eat a finger as quickly as they will a fish.. A couple medium snappers will give you 4 or 5 pounds of meat. Here's a simple recipe.
season cut up meat in seasonings
dredge in c.meal, flour mix
fry quickly, just to sear
bake covered at 325 with a bit of water for 3 hrs.
test for tenderness and make a gravy with the drippings
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote