Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2015   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default Crikey!! It's HOT !!

Busting the century mark this week and muggy, not to mention the bugs. Tomato plant care in extreme heat tips?

Yesterday worked outside and needed to put an icebag on my head, ice cold wet towel round neck, and gosh darnoodley near nekkid. Welcome to the south ladies and gents.

& WTH is the white stuff on hibiscus bloom and treatment. thx

hibiscus white stuff.jpg
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I know what you mean about the heat. I garden wearing a Cotton T-Shirt and Cotton shorts. It may or may not be fashionable, but when it's hot and humid - light colored Cotton is the way to dress.

I'm not sure what that is on the hibiscus, but I can guess it to be a mold.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Hotter than all get out here too. Midnight last night it was still 87F. Gonna be another 100+ day. Sweating like crazy all ready.

Normally I just water in the evening, but with the heat and humidity, I been giving mine a small anount of water during the early morning hours too. That little extra bit seems to help keep the plants roots a bit cooler.

Mulches and if you can some shade cloth helps. I just keep counting the days and weeks til hopefully some cooler weather comes in. Even 85F high for the day would feel so good.

Looks like residue from a bug to me. I see it on and off. I just use fingers and wipe it all off and check the leaves to see if I can find the bug. If it don't come back then you know it was a bug, if it does than you have a possible mold like Salt suggested.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Yes its blisteringly hot here too. I came in a little while ago and it was already 92 with a heat index of over 100 so I'm pretty sure we'll get up there again today. At daylight it was 77 degrees which was as cool as it got last night. Like Starlight said it was extremely hot and muggy with the temps only cooling a little bit after midnight.

Believe it or not I am still getting some fruit set. Went out at daylight and gave my plants another dose of TTF. My oldest plants look a little haggard after all that fruit production so giving them the TTF only days apart is an attempt to jump start them and see if I can get some more out of them. I was looking over the plants as I feed them checking for new fruit sets and found certain varieties doing much better than others. The ones fairing the best in the heat are Indian Stripe PL, Virginia Sweet, Couilles de Taureau, Royal Hillbilly, JDs Special C Tex, Pruden's Purple, Druzba, and Red Brandywine (the one from TGS).

My best tips for dealing with the extreme heat are in this thread.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=36624

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #5
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

At 9:30 this morning it was 82 here and high humidity , we are under a heat advisory
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It's similar here, heat index of 105 this afternoon. There is a massive amount of water everywhere from all the rain we have been having, so as soon as the sun comes out, it gets ridiculously muggy.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #7
Kudzu
Tomatovillian™

100.2 with heat index of 117 degrees today in good ole Mississippi.
Kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #8
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

The for the tips. I'm getting a haircut.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

You would think with all the high temps and humidity so high that you have to go inside to actually breath some air that the bugs would fry up or at least slow down too. But nope, they actually seem to be getting worse. It's the humans and critters that are dropping.

It's hard to even try and keep bug spray on the body. You sweat so bad that it runs off in rivets too.

My Foot ... Watch with the hair cut. Get ya cap or something. Sunburn heads are not fun and they can lead to cancer too.

What drives me crazy is when you listen to the weather folks and they say temps will be cooler for the next couple of days. Then you look and it is only two degrees difference.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I couldn't even muster up the energy to go out in the garden this morning with this near 100% humidity that is present early in the day. I have a few tomatoes that need picking but they will just have to take their chances cause I need a break. I got out yesterday and pulled up my beans which I had left in a vain attempt to get dried bean seed but only got moldy rotten seed because of the constant humidity. I also tore down my cucumber vines and bagged them. That is always an itchy messy project. I also sprayed everything with a copper spray and then two hours later it rained nearly a half an inch so that was mostly wasted effort.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #11
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Hot and humid in KY. The last 7 days the highs have been in mid 90's and is predicted to be in the mid-90's at least through July. The heat index has and will be 100 or plus.
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote