Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2015   #1
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Default Something I've learned, a pure coincidence, and the coolest thing

Yesterday evening, I was walking thru the potato patch, that I had spent hours the week before searching for potato beetle larvae, squashing everything I could find. I found a ton of the older larvae happily munching the tops of my plants. Drowned all I found. Weird, I thought to myself, haven't seen any until now, but they were large, so obviously hiding well. Today, I walked thru that bed a dozen times, didn't see any.

So after working in my tomato bed all day (9 hours), weeding, putting down cardboard between rows, removing EB and septoria infected leaves, I needed a break from tomatoes. Well, onion patch needs weeding, so I started doing that. Came across a bug I hadn't seen before. "What the hell are you?" I ask it (like it's going to answer me lol). My DH is standing next to me and says it's a good bug, kills other bugs. Now don't get me wrong, I love him, and he's very smart about a lot of things, but occasionally, well, he's wrong. I'm like OK, and put it down.

Couple minutes later, I got tired of weeding onions, and walked the potato patch again. There were a bunch of potato beetle larvae again!! I walked the paths again and again, more larvae every time. I discovered the larvae crawl to the top of the plants in the evening. This is what I learned yesterday/today.

Now, this is where a pure coincidence and the coolest thing I've seen come into play

Remember I talked about the bug in the onion patch? So I'm walking the rows of potatoes over and over again. That's when I see it. A larvae on a leaf. Looks a little funny, but I go to pull it off anyways. Something moves above it. When that something moves, so does the larvae. Upon closer inspection, there is my mystery bug, and it's got the larvae impaled in the head! The larvae is obviously dead, and the bug was sucking it dry. OK, eww, but still the coolest thing I've seen, so I tried to get a pic of it for you all. gosh darnoodley thing started crawling up my arm, larvae in tow, I screamed like a girl, the bug dropped the larvae and flew away. I'm gonna search for every one of those bugs in my garden that I can find so they can eat to their hearts content That concludes my story for today.
Carriehelene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #2
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriehelene View Post
Yesterday evening, I was walking thru the potato patch, that I had spent hours the week before searching for potato beetle larvae, squashing everything I could find. I found a ton of the older larvae happily munching the tops of my plants. Drowned all I found. Weird, I thought to myself, haven't seen any until now, but they were large, so obviously hiding well. Today, I walked thru that bed a dozen times, didn't see any.

So after working in my tomato bed all day (9 hours), weeding, putting down cardboard between rows, removing EB and septoria infected leaves, I needed a break from tomatoes. Well, onion patch needs weeding, so I started doing that. Came across a bug I hadn't seen before. "What the hell are you?" I ask it (like it's going to answer me lol). My DH is standing next to me and says it's a good bug, kills other bugs. Now don't get me wrong, I love him, and he's very smart about a lot of things, but occasionally, well, he's wrong. I'm like OK, and put it down.

Couple minutes later, I got tired of weeding onions, and walked the potato patch again. There were a bunch of potato beetle larvae again!! I walked the paths again and again, more larvae every time. I discovered the larvae crawl to the top of the plants in the evening. This is what I learned yesterday/today.

Now, this is where a pure coincidence and the coolest thing I've seen come into play

Remember I talked about the bug in the onion patch? So I'm walking the rows of potatoes over and over again. That's when I see it. A larvae on a leaf. Looks a little funny, but I go to pull it off anyways. Something moves above it. When that something moves, so does the larvae. Upon closer inspection, there is my mystery bug, and it's got the larvae impaled in the head! The larvae is obviously dead, and the bug was sucking it dry. OK, eww, but still the coolest thing I've seen, so I tried to get a pic of it for you all. gosh darnoodley thing started crawling up my arm, larvae in tow, I screamed like a girl, the bug dropped the larvae and flew away. I'm gonna search for every one of those bugs in my garden that I can find so they can eat to their hearts content That concludes my story for today.
That is really cool. I can relate to talking to plants, and bugs. Not long ago I found an earwig all curled up in a basil leaf, he had been eating and pooping in one leaf for a while. I pulled fhe leaf off, cursed him, stepped on him repeatedly, and ground my foot back and forth for good measure, muttering all the while. Then I noticed my neighbors outside. Oops!

Hopefully the big crop of larvae will attract more of the larvae impaler-suckers! Sure it's gross, but it's kinda fascinating. Kinda satisfying, too, I bet!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #3
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Totally! There are also lady bugs showing up to eat the smaller ones. They can eat the little monsters all they want lol. It's kinda funny, because I'm the gardener in the family. He flies by the seat of his pants. Keeps insisting the blight on his tomatoes is bug damage and not blight.
Old July 12, 2015   #4
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Totally! There are also lady bugs showing up to eat the smaller ones. They can eat the little monsters all they want lol. It's kinda funny, because I'm the gardener in the family. He flies by the seat of his pants. Keeps insisting the blight on his tomatoes is bug damage and not blight.
Well, even a broken clock is right twice a day!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #5
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Awesome! I need a few of those bugs in my garden!! I wonder what they are.
Old July 14, 2015   #6
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

we need a picture of this dude, been working on my entomology. any larvae eating bug is a friend of mine (as long as they don't bite/sting).
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #7
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

I did get a pic of a spider eating a larvae yesterday. But I only have my phone to take pictures with, and TV keeps telling me they are to big to post. To top it off, my computer won't recognize my iPhone 5s now, so no way to post pics on TV at this time apparently.
Old July 14, 2015   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I've found those odd wasp looking bugs with the black wings and almost florescent looking bodies eat a lot of garden pests. I plan on researching good bug - bad bug during the off growing season. (Winter)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #9
Karrr_Luda
Tomatovillian™

Dis it look anything like this assassin bug? http://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.ed...mphotojuly405/
Old July 14, 2015   #10
Carriehelene
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrr_Luda View Post
Dis it look anything like this assassin bug? http://growingsmallfarms.ces.ncsu.ed...mphotojuly405/
Nope, but now I know what assassin bug looks like thanks! Always wondered but never bothered to look it up.