Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2015   #1
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Default For those bagging blossoms, what size bags are you using?

For those bagging blossoms, what size bags are you using? I'm growing out many varieties I last grew around 2001-2003 plus many old accessions and my bags are pretty small, like 7x9cm and wondering what other baggers are using? I have Carpal & Ulnar Tunnel and finding it hard to do crosses & bagging blossoms and wonder if the bag size needs to change. Thanks.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #2
Dane S
Tomatovillian™

I stopped into seedsavers in Decorah and picked up these. They seem to work just fine. They also have lettuce bags wich are a lot bigger.
Dane S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2015   #3
korney19

Thanks! Mine are about 2.75" x 3.5" so those are a little bigger. I've seen ~3.5" x 4.75" too. In the past, I've used round Tulle discs that you pull up around and use a twist-tie or string but they were a little more difficult to use since blossom clusters didn't have any weight to them to make a pouch...

Thanks again.
Old July 11, 2015   #4
HCWithAltitude
Tomatovillian™

Dane -

Thanks for the tip! These are exactly what I need.

HWA
HCWithAltitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #5
HCWithAltitude
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered a mess of these 3"x4" bags off Amazon. Does anyone want some from my order?

Willing to trade for real snow white cherry seeds (2nd year in a row I grew out something other than snow white cherry), or some others on my list.

HWA
HCWithAltitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #6
maf
Tomatovillian™

I had good results with the 16cm x 10cm (6"x4"). Or if you measure from the drawstring that is 13cm x 10cm.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2015   #7
korney19

Thanks for the posts! Keep them coming!

I ordered some 4x6" and some 5x7" from a US company and should have some by the end of the week. I'm sure they are made in China anyway, but couldn't wait 3 weeks from Shanghai or Hong Kong...

I was considering ordering from Paper Mart but the shipping was ridiculous for some reason; when I actually put in an actual address, the shipping went from $8.xx to over $12.xx for about 3 sizes.

They had many of these sizes but they also had two that were for wine bottles, ~6" x 15", as well as a huge version: 22"W x 25"T; this size was over a dollar each I think, but may be great to bag entire pepper plants or small dwarf tomatoes--size comes out to about 14" diameter.

Anybody have any results or comments on any sizes or companies please post!
Old July 14, 2015   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

You can also buy nylon tulle by the yard from any fabrics/craft store, for a few bucks and cut any size and cover blossoms or the whole branch, as needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tulle.jpg (236.3 KB, 63 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #9
korney19

Thanks. I thought 5-10 years ago, I saw a "tube" continuous roll, but haven't seen it since. It was like 6" wide and you just cut off whatever length you need and use rubber bands or twist ties to seal the ends... I have something like it in red netting for onions but can't find it in organza or tulle.
Old July 14, 2015   #10
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

I got round tulle discs from dollar store. 15 for a dollar. They seems to be best. Started with wedding bags. I think they are too heavy and do not pollinate well.
Tulle works much better and after removing you can just leave tie in place indicating which branch was used.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2015   #11
korney19

Thanks! I will have to look and see what they have; I got my tulle discs at Walmart back in their fabric/crafts section a long time ago.