Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2015   #16
bower
Tomatovillian™

Lying under the plant, oh yes.... tomato gazing. Popular pursuit right around the time we're musing about how long it takes to turn glossy, and are they really going to be this size, already... and are they getting darker green or lighter...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2015   #17
digsdirt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
How about... you know they're ready to be eaten when they fall into your mouth when you lie flat under the plant? Give the bush a gentle shake and see what you get...
Careful. You might get a mouth full of hornworm that way.

Dave
Old July 5, 2015   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by digsdirt View Post
Careful. You might get a mouth full of hornworm that way.

Dave
Or in my case stink bugs.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #19
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

From what I've seen this matte>glossy depends quite a bit on variety and probably other factors, and it happens when it's still under 1/3 of the final size, so quite soon (typically).
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #20
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Much of Greenlands supplies were from Norway where they came from.
Stories even tell how they would capture polar bears and ship them to the king in Norway as a gift.
You have to be one tough bunch to do that without a knock out dart.
Viking means raider but they are farmers and herders first.
I could babble on how the crusades effected the ivory trade in Greenland and Iceland too but I will spare you.
Worth
I know this is way off from Matte to Glossy , but there is an interesting book title "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" by Jared Diamond and in part it talks about why the Greenland Viking civilization eventually collapsed. Sidenote: According to the book they likely had cattle so small that they could be picked up by one man.

*SIGH* in trying to make sure that I didn't get hit by a late frost (instead of planting around May 10-15 I waited to May 20 and didn't finish planting untill the end of May (and we didn't have any late frost). Still waiting for tomatoes and saw my first foliage disease this week.
Went from drought conditions to way too much rain...
*BIGGER SIGH*
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #21
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post
I know this is way off from Matte to Glossy , but there is an interesting book title "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" by Jared Diamond and in part it talks about why the Greenland Viking civilization eventually collapsed. Sidenote: According to the book they likely had cattle so small that they could be picked up by one man.

*SIGH* in trying to make sure that I didn't get hit by a late frost (instead of planting around May 10-15 I waited to May 20 and didn't finish planting untill the end of May (and we didn't have any late frost). Still waiting for tomatoes and saw my first foliage disease this week.
*BIGGER SIGH*
I have read that book about 10 times from cover to cover and also read Guns Germs and Steel the same amount of times.
I think everyone here should read both of them they tell so much about the do's ans donts of farming and how we got here.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; July 7, 2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old July 7, 2015   #22
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmauch View Post

*BIGGER SIGH*
Okay, even further off topic... bring on the mini-cows!! I wouldn't mind that at all. (Or is that for civilizations that choose to fail? )
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #23
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Okay, even further off topic... bring on the mini-cows!! I wouldn't mind that at all. (Or is that for civilizations that choose to fail? )
I don't think the mini-cows caused their failure. The cows had be be housed in 'barns' for a significant portion of the year. I think it's easier to feed and keep a small cow alive (and it takes less food) than a full-sized cow.

If I remember the book correctly the Viking Greenlanders failed (and died out) for several reasons: (the colonies had been founded during a warming period and it had gotten cold again), Lack of resources (they had no source of metal and some other key items - [they had lost contact with the rest of Scandinavia], they were (as previously mentioned) primarily herders and farmers - and with the shift in climate, those were no longer viable - and civilizations on the edge tend to be more conservative unwilling to give up what they 'knew' worked. And they were outcompeted by a civilization that exploited the environment better (Inuit). There is at least some evidence that at least one of the colonies was attacked and overrun by them.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #24
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I never heard of those 'mini-cows', although I do know there are mini-horses.
Personally, I believe the Vikings could not function in a new enviroment, as their culture was largely based on getting wealth by raiding other countries and cultures - and there were none to raid in Greenland. The Inuit knew how to defend themselves too well...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
I never heard of those 'mini-cows', although I do know there are mini-horses.
Personally, I believe the Vikings could not function in a new enviroment, as their culture was largely based on getting wealth by raiding other countries and cultures - and there were none to raid in Greenland. The Inuit knew how to defend themselves too well...
One of the oddities was they didn't eat or hunt the seals that the Dorset culture did there at the time.
There was also very little fish eaten.
The Vikings did very well in Iceland because of the gulf stream that kept it a little warmer.
But they almost didn't and stopped the grazing before it ruined everything.
Another thing that did them in was they showed up right at the end of a warm spell and the beginning of the mini ice age.
Ships from Norway stopped coming as the ice flows thickened and they couldn't get there.
These are the small cows they had.
They weren't mini cows but buy the time winter was over the poor things were so skinny they could carry them out of the house.
They would have to hand feed them to get them back on their feet.

They showed up with meat tastes in this order.
Pigs cows sheep and goats.
They abandoned the pigs first.
Here is a picture of one of the churches they built.
By this time they had adopted Christianity.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; July 7, 2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old July 7, 2015   #26
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Or in my case stink bugs.
Worth
I may have to make a hornworm burger seasoned with stink bugs,soon.
Is it just me or do stink bugs smell like cilantro, but not in a good way?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2015   #27
Jonnyhat
Tomatovillian™

they smell like neem oil
Jonnyhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2015   #28
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

So that is how neem oil smells? Okay then.. yuck!

Over here, some Golden Nugget cherries are definitely turning glossy... they already look quite large for cherries. Expecting to see color changes soon..
Old July 17, 2015   #29
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Another update: several beautiful 'glossy' ones here already, including Noire de crimee and Balck Seaman. Looks like the real deal - lovely green with darker green shoulders.
Mohamed & Golden Nugget cherries have been 'shiny' for a few weeks already, I am just staring at them intently hoping to finally see some color...

Pink Tiger has lovely oval striped fruits, and those stripes ar egetting more and more prominent every day. The shine is increasing, but no 'blushing' yet. ah well...

I am otimistically confident that I shall have my first ripe cherry toms at the end of this month.