Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 16, 2015   #16
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
3 day or less for fermentation. Temperature plays a big part in timing. Definitely do not refrigerate.
I always ferment mine for longer than 3 days. I have fermented then for as long as a week. Once I fermented them til they sprouted because I forgot to check on them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #17
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

A while back i was considering trying oxiclean. Then i found a material safety data sheet on it and i thought better. I now use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. It does the exact same thing only without added chemicals. Here is a link for some further reading.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34109
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm am currently using the method in Carolyn's book. I've read about using oxyclean, bleach, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing the gel off, and I have used a method that uses a cup of water during fermentation.

I have grown seeds saved by all the above methods and they all grew near 100%.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #19
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

well I have Seed to Seed and followed that but by the 5th day all my seeds had started sprouting...maybe because I had them on my windowsill that gets sun half the day?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #20
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've been using Oxyclean for all my seeds. I have forgotten seeds and left them overnight in the solution, and they were fine. I usually leave them about 45 min to an hour in the solution. Last year's seeds tested at 100% germination.

Already this summer, I've gone through one 1.3 lb container of Oxyclean, one spoonful at a time. I have enough seeds to start a seed company.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #21
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Hmm Im gonna have to try it the as fermentation has been total failure for me.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2015   #22
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
well I have Seed to Seed and followed that but by the 5th day all my seeds had started sprouting...maybe because I had them on my windowsill that gets sun half the day?
I have my on the countertop, no window next to it. Once I smell fermented odor, I shake it a bit to see that most of the seeds are on the bottom and at that point they are done. I wash and dry them.
btw I add a bit of water if there is not enough juice from tomato.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2015   #23
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I always ferment mine for longer than 3 days. I have fermented then for as long as a week. Once I fermented them til they sprouted because I forgot to check on them.

Bill
I've forgotten fermenting cups outside for so long all the liquid evaporated, and seeds dried up in a clump. Once discovered, I gently broke them apart and saved per SOP. Germinated them in the spring and couldn't tell the difference.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote