Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 18, 2015   #1
JoParrott

Default Margherita Tomato-What a great surprise!

I think someone gave these seeds to me. The plant was never very impressive and when the tomatoes started coming on I was not favorably impressed. They are not what I would call attractive in appearance, but they are touted to be very good for roasting, so I let the plant stay. I picked a few now and then but never tasted them. But yesterday I sliced one into medallions and ate it- WOW !!! it is the best flavored tomato I have had in ages, and the skin is so thin and tender. It is now my favorite this year, along with Big Beef. I can't describe the flavor but it is distinct and wonderful. Perfect size to slice for salads and cucumbers in rice vinegar. The plant is only 2 feet tall, and loaded with tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150717_171012.jpg (147.4 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 20150717_170921.jpg (102.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 20150717_170935.jpg (79.1 KB, 149 views)
Old July 18, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Very nice variety. I would've liked it for roasting and on the grill.
I bet it will make also good sauce .

Enjoy !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2015   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Definitely on my radar now and will be one of many on my wish list for next year. Thanks for sharing pics and your thoughts on this tomato. I love reading about everyone's favorite new tomato.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2015   #4
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

No blossom end rot? I had terrible luck with Romas and BER. Would give this a shot if I can ever figure out how to end BER in my garden with roma/paste tomatoes.
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2015   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I looked it up on TotallyTomatoes and its too bad its a Hybrid but I love that fact that its only 2-ft tall for my container gardening. Hmmm, will have to give this some thought.
Old July 18, 2015   #6
JoParrott

No ber at all--I don't know if this is considered a paste tomato-I'll have to go back and read about it.
Old July 18, 2015   #7
encore
Tomatovillian™

listed as a paste tomato in tomato growers catalog, I've got 2 plants in 6 gal. buckets, loaded with blossoms and small green fruit so far. hope I don't get BER with these. looking good so far though.
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2015   #8
JoParrott

I stand corrected- it IS a hybrid- and I got seeds from Totally Tomatoes. I still have some seeds for next year, and will definitely grow several plants. It is very compact and heavily loaded with fruit.
Old July 18, 2015   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
I stand corrected- it IS a hybrid- and I got seeds from Totally Tomatoes. I still have some seeds for next year, and will definitely grow several plants. It is very compact and heavily loaded with fruit.
Well that's good to know b'c I looked at the shape and said WHAT since the only Margarita one Iv'e ever grown is Strawberry Margarita.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/S...b=General_Info

Tania does list your F1 and just says it's named for a Pizza?

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Margherita_F1

Carolyn
Old July 18, 2015   #10
DrTrish
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear! I've considered growing margheritas in the past and never acted on it. Next year I will!
DrTrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2015   #11
JoParrott

Strawberry Margherita look good, but nothing like mine. Tatiana's info says it is Ind.- it definitely is NOT! Grows about 24" and compact- Totally Tomatoes says Det.
Old July 18, 2015   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoParrott View Post
Strawberry Margherita look good, but nothing like mine. Tatiana's info says it is Ind.- it definitely is NOT! Grows about 24" and compact- Totally Tomatoes says Det.
I wasn't comparing your F1 with what I said was the only Margarita one I'd grown, which is that Strawberry Margarita one, an OP heirloom from Mexico as I recall.

And my question?

How is your F1 different from any of the other F1 paste varieties let alone the hundreds of long red OP's that are long, yes, but do have slightly different shapes?

Earlier, I think, but as to the BER susceptibility of almost all pasters I know, probably not that different.

Carolyn, who looks out at her 10 tomato plants in the backyard that Freda is supposed to be taking care of and knows there will be no sauce making from those plants, even if she gives away the few fruits that might appear. When she was able to do sauce, she used the best tasting ones she had, not necessarily the paste varieties.
Old July 18, 2015   #13
JoParrott

Carolyn, I don't think I can answer your question comparing paste tomatoes, bc I have only attempted Roma, and had such BER problems that didn't last long. All I know is that I LOVE the taste, texture, the thin skin, and the "bite", whatever that is! I can't be scientific, just my opinion. Appearance- it looks more like a pepper than a tomato. The long cylindrical shape means many uniform slices for salads, which I really like--very few seeds or juice.
Old July 20, 2015   #14
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

they look EXACTLY like my Super San Marzano's.

I suspect the taste is not much different however the SSM plant is enormous
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote