Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 2, 2015   #16
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Any growing point from an indeterminate can be rooted to grow into a full plant.
Determinate plants not so much.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #17
Elagrow
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
Any growing point from an indeterminate can be rooted to grow into a full plant.
Determinate plants not so much.
Very true, plus tomatoes are one of the most difficult plants to grow successfully. I know a fair amount as far as general growing, especially for indoors, even have numerous successful tomato plants going, though these ones for whatever reason are tough. I am glad to finally see some progress with them though.
Old July 4, 2015   #18
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear they are shaping up! Post pics of your other varieties too!

I just learned to clone tomatoes this year. Tried a few different ways and the easiest was to snap off a sucker and literally just stick it in a 1 gal pot with regular potting soil. Plant it down as far as you can, just as you do when transplanting.. Keep it nicely moist at first. This is actually much better than rooting in water. A sucker works much better than a regular branch. It may wilt, but should recover within a week. If the sucker is large, cut it down to be smaller, as a smaller clone works better. (It can't take up much water at first, so a big top can't get hydrated.)

I have done clones of another type of plant commonly grown indoors and tomatoes are 100 times easier. No Rooting hormone, sharp razor blade, sterile work area or cloner required. Give it a try!

Last edited by wormgirl; July 4, 2015 at 03:45 PM.
wormgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2015   #19
Elagrow
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormgirl View Post
I have done clones of another type of plant commonly grown indoors and tomatoes are 100 times easier. No Rooting hormone, sharp razor blade, sterile work area or cloner required. Give it a try!
I was going to ask if rooting hormones would help it root out faster. what about doing a mycorhizea(sp?) mixture?
Old July 9, 2015   #20
wormgirl
Tomatovillian™

You can use hormones or mycos if you have them and I'm sure they won't hurt. But I literally just snapped off suckers and stuck them in a pot of soil unceremoniously, and it worked great. The size of the sucker (not TOO large) was the important factor.
Old July 27, 2015   #21
Elagrow
Tomatovillian™

so we started a compost pile not long ago, and was putting our trimmings into the pile from the tomato plants. The guy that was maintaining the pile left, and it has been untouched for a few weeks now. I went out there this morning and there are now several tomato plants growing very well out of the pile.

Also, we plucked the first tomato off one of the aunt ruby's, sliced it up and I handed it out to everyone. Very good, meaty, had a hint of nutty flavor with a tangy after taste. We cant wait for more at this point. ill get a couple new pics taken early last week of my aunt ruby's and my cherry tomato/potato plant.
Old July 27, 2015   #22
Elagrow
Tomatovillian™

They are in the same tent. and I took a canopy picture of the cherry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aunt Rubys.jpg (354.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Cherry tomato potato.jpg (406.3 KB, 17 views)