Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 26, 2015   #1
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Default clay pots - deal or no deal?

picked up some pots on clearance on local kroger (grocery store) at 75% off. The big ones are 24", none are smaller than 18".

price for the big ones 39.99

price for the big round 15.00

price for the pool blue pots 7.00

price for the natural clay (18") 6.00

deal or no deal?

pot1.jpg

pot2.jpg

pot3.jpg

pot4.jpg
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

They are lovely! What a deal!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #3
imp
Tomatovillian™

If they work well for you, it's a good deal. I really like the ones in the second and third pictures, very pretty.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #4
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

I seem to never have pots big enough, so just went for the bigger ones. Some of the large ones weigh 70lbs. I have throw clay on the wheel in years past, and the clay cost more than these pots. Have several medium, small, buckets, etc.... but needed some big ones.

Will they work for me? IDK, but price point was good and always nice to have something available on site. At certain times of year can't even get a plastic pot for less and not near the size. Clay pots are kinda becoming a thing of the past and usually only available at high end nursery for big bucks. Most places now are just carry plastic ones for ease of shipping, stocking, stacking, etc....

I culled through the selection and made sure none had cracks. Of course, will not be used this year, but can store upside down outside. I spend more $$$ on gardening "stuff" this time of year when things are getting cleared out than any other time. You just get gouged on this stuff if bought at peak time. Have plenty of space to fill, so use will not be an issue.

Some of the smaller pots 6-8" where just a couple of bucks. Thought about splurging and using for tomato transplants in the spring, as opposed to the cowpots - but held back as didn't want this place looking like pompeii archive.

Now, looking for some potting soil to hit bottom somewhere, would like to score 2cu ft for 1.99 and then use as a weed suppressant/storage. Guess as long as you don't open the bag, all is good. LOL
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #5
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I believe you get better growth(aeration)in clay pots.The designer ones with the asphalt type interior lining seems to hold water(no aeration)and cause the soil to stay moist and moldy and with the sealed painted exterior only seems to aggravate the moisture control issue.Mind you I live in a hot humid,torrential rainy climate.So to circumvent that I drill extra holes in the bottoms and compensate with decent size irregular rock,shards in the bottom for drainage.Also I like the Italian clay over the Mexican pots cause they seem to be stronger and don't have a black(almost dirt like filler in-between the outside and inside layers of formed clay.Those prices are not to pass up though!
Old July 26, 2015   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I love clay pots and equally despise fake clay pots.

I have yet to find a plastic or one of those Styrofoam pots that last.
In no time at all they fall apart or the paint comes off.
One thing I do try to do is get ones that have straight sides on them.
Transplanting can be a nightmare with a pot that is curved on the sides creating a mechanical lock.
I reserve those for small cacti and agave.
For the cacti I will use the non glazed pots and drill extra holes in the sides for drainage.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I even took some new saucers and use them for hamburger bun baking.
They work great you just use the top edge of the saucer as a guide to slice the bun.
Worth
IMG_20150726_22914.jpg
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2015   #8
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Like them.
One of my projects this summer was to make ollas out of small, unglazed clay pots for watering purposes. Always looking for a deal on them.
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #9
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Clay pots are much better for tomatoes. Soil temperature fluctuations will be much smaller, so you avoid ber problems and have overall better growth. Those are really good prices for that size. Here they are way too expensive.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #10
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

I'm jealous. I'm using 5 gallon buckets that previously held soap and pickles and gear oil.(Not all in the same bucket)
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #11
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

As a container gardener-it's great ! Good looking, great deal too. I love the look of pots in groupings, lush and beautiful. I like the resin pots that look like porcelain-lightweight which I need and beautiful.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2015   #12
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

The blue/blacK ones are quite nice.

There's a major hub for clayworKs relatively close by so my definition of a deal is somewhat sKewed, but happy you were able to find good ones.

I agree this is the best time of year to load up. LooKing forward to seeing them filled up.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote