Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 24, 2015   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Composting Leaves

I would like to add chopped leaves from the trees on my property to my garden. However, my lawn is not organic, I do use a lawn service that applies a pre-emergent crab grass controller and weed killers when necessary. I have no idea how much of this might also be taken up by the trees and how much might make it into the leaves. If I were to use the leaves, would I be adding unwanted chemicals to my garden? I am afraid I would, which is why I have never done it, but I don't really know.

Sue
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2015   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I would like to add chopped leaves from the trees on my property to my garden. However, my lawn is not organic, I do use a lawn service that applies a pre-emergent crab grass controller and weed killers when necessary. I have no idea how much of this might also be taken up by the trees and how much might make it into the leaves. If I were to use the leaves, would I be adding unwanted chemicals to my garden? I am afraid I would, which is why I have never done it, but I don't really know.

Sue

That is a hard question.
are you worried about trace amounts of something killing your plants or just trace amounts in general.

I have used pre-emergents in the garden and they play out after a few months.
Preen is the product.
I dont think any of this would hurt you garden from coming from tree leaves.
You can always test it with beans.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2015   #3
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I am more concerned with consuming the chemicals rather the health of my plants, although I don't want them damaged, either. Although I am not 100% organic, I try to keep chemicals, especially those not approved for edible crops, out of my garden.
Old December 24, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sue,

I've been thinking about this today. I have next to no experience using pre-emergents. I know that there are a lot of products out there that control broad leaf plants, fireants, bugs, etc. I haven't had any problems.

As one person talking to another, I personally don't think there would be any danger to you. If any danger at all - it would show up on the plants first. That's my opinion though. I hope you get more scientific answers.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #5
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to both of you. I was hoping some kind of studies had been done on how lawn chemicals are taken up by trees, but I couldn't find anything. I am probably being overly cautious, but it is the only reason I have not used the leaves before.
Old December 25, 2015   #6
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I don't think any chemical taken up by the trees will affect the leave to the point that will make the unsuitable. The only concern will be how much grass is mixed with the leaves. Even then it would depend what kind of herbicide/weed killer has been used.

I would do Worth's bean sprouting test. O r even just tomato sprouting.

Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2015   #7
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Very little grass I would think, since I can control that to a large extent. When the leave first start to fall I get quite a bit, but in heavy leaf drop I raise the blade on the mower and just pick up leaves since I am doing it almost daily or every 2-3 days. Since the grass is growing slower also in the cooler season, I often see almost no grass mixed in and that is when I would add the chopped leaves to the garden. Something to keep in mind, though, since the early mowings with leaves do tend to have quite a bit of grass mixed in.
Old December 26, 2015   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Very little grass I would think, since I can control that to a large extent. When the leave first start to fall I get quite a bit, but in heavy leaf drop I raise the blade on the mower and just pick up leaves since I am doing it almost daily or every 2-3 days. Since the grass is growing slower also in the cooler season, I often see almost no grass mixed in and that is when I would add the chopped leaves to the garden. Something to keep in mind, though, since the early mowings with leaves do tend to have quite a bit of grass mixed in.
In this case, as you've described, I wouldn't worry if I were you.
The mall effect of herbicide come from its physical existence. I other words, the new grass growing now is doubtful to have any of the residue of the herbicide used months ago.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2015   #9
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My husband uses pre-emergents and weed controllers on the lawn, but only earlier in the season. I figure they are long gone by the time the leaves start to fall so I ask him for some grass clippings to be added to the leaves when he's collecting them for the garden. We get so many leaves and our yard is big enough that just the last batch is more than I need.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2015   #10
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Find out the names of the chemicals in the weed killers and research them and the killers by name on the web. There is a site that goes into all potentially dangerous ag-type substances and their possible side effects. Sorry, I don't have a link...a Search Engine will help you find it.

I do know testing your soil and leaves is the only sure way to know what's there, but the expense scares most people away. Lastly, most chem companies don't want people to know what's dangerous with their concoctions, so it might take eons until they fess up if ever.

I would think that the leaves could be safe if no sprays were used after the leaves started to fall. I'd worry more about the soil contamination and where the overspray hit.

Last edited by dustdevil; December 26, 2015 at 12:07 PM.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2015   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Trifluralin is the most common ingredient in pre emergents.
I used to work where they made it.

Worth

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...CsvT0JZqP2E6fw
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote