Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 1, 2016   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default My 2015 List

This is a first draft, and subject to change based on new information and whim until the last seeds are sown. I usually pick my tomatoes based on taste, taste, taste and then make sure they are not all late varieties and I have a couple of oranges and yellows for variety. The problem with this has been that production often suffers and I have to plant many more than I should to get as much fruit as I want/need. That means about 12-15 plants for one person, including what I can for the winter. I do not even give away many. If you know of a couple of great tasting red varieties that are very productive and would still be very productive in my zone 6 I would like suggestions. For some reason the most productive have been the orange and yellows for me and I really need more reds for canning. The starred varieties are new to me, and I have many more new ones than I usually do at one time, so they could potentially be very productive, but I won't know until I try. I also have much fewer hearts than in the past, even though I love them for taste. If any of these are questionable in the taste department, please let me know that also, although the I do think they are all supposed to be pretty good.

Pots:
Sophie's Choice
Azoychka
Black Cherry
A Red Grape

Garden:
*Moravsky Div
*Earliana
*Box Car Willie
Kosovo
*Opalka
*Italian Heirloom (75)
Reif Red Heart
*Nicky Crain (80-85)
*Stump of the World (90)
Brandywine Sudduth (80-85)
Cherokee Purple (80)
Estler's Mort. Lifter (85)
Kellogg's Breakfast (85)
*Marianna's Peace (85)
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016   #2
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if you tried George Detsikas Italian Red but the SASE offer is still open it appears:

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34178

From the replies on the offer post it sounds like George did well in pretty much all of the growing conditions last year!

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016   #3
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I know you mentioned that you'll be growing fewer hearts, but have you tried Russian 117. It was one of my best producers last year and was great for both canning and eating.

I grew Italian Heirloom a few years ago and it was a dud in terms of flavor. I didn't give it a second chance.

I've considered Kellogg's Breakfast (and KBX), but always skipped them because they're reportedly late.

Moravsky Div did very well for me and the flavor was huge. It'll be back.

Oh, and you probably meant this was your 2016 list 😉
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2016   #4
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

You meant 2016 ?
Good choices out there.

I grew Azoychka. It gets big and over 8 ft tall. I wouldn't grow it in pot.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2016   #5
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

YES, I DID MEAN 2016! Darn, is it possible to edit a title to a post, lol?

I have already grown Azoychka in a pot and it did wonderfully. I do use large fabric pots, some as big as 20 gallons. But even my garden tomatoes rarely get above 6 feet or so, and Azoychka only 4-5 feet, probably 4 feet in the pot and 5 feet in the garden.

I have not tried the tomato George Detsikas Italian Red, but did post an inquiry, thank you.

I have not grown Russian 117 yet, although I have seeds. It has been on my list to try for quite some time. But so have several of these. Because it is another late tomato, I would only add it if I removed another late one or expanded the garden and had room for another. The references I have seen put it at 85 days or more. Late tomatoes often don't give me huge production just because it is nearing the end of the season when they starting producing well. A lot depends on how long our season in a given year because of the weather.

I added Italian heirloom because several people liked it, so I guess I need more feedback about that one. I could also add a non-heirloom instead like Jet Star, Big Beef or Early Girl.

Last edited by SueCT; January 2, 2016 at 07:31 AM.
Old January 2, 2016   #6
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'd skip Kellogg's Breakfast. I tried it once and it was stingy and unremarkable.

Cherokee Purple is really great. Indian Stripe is the same, but more productive.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2016   #7
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post

I have not grown Russian 117 yet, although I have seeds. It has been on my list to try for quite some time. But so have several of these. Because it is another late tomato, I would only add it if I removed another late one or expanded the garden and had room for another. The references I have seen put it at 85 days or more. Late tomatoes often don't give me huge production just because it is nearing the end of the season when they starting producing well. A lot depends on how long our season in a given year because of the weather.

I also had it in the "late" category and remember being really surprised when it wasn't. I just checked my records and I started harvesting Russian 117 the last week of July. It was not only one of the earliest, but it was also one of the last plants I pulled.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2016   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sue, where else did you post your list b'c I know very well I posted back about your source of the Estler one which I sent you, and agreed that i had done so.

When I saw your name, I ASAP remember your last name which starts with an S and had it written down in my data book.

Carolyn
Old January 2, 2016   #9
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, you are confusing me, lol. Of coarse you sent me the Estler's Mortgage Lifter. I was very appreciative. Are you confused about what this list is? It is my list for what I am planning to plant this summer, which is why it should say my 2016 List on the tittle, not 2015. I am no asking for these seeds, just sharing my plans for what I would like to plant. I have a second post asking where I can obtain the Nicky Crain seeds only, which I can get at Sandhill. I do have the Estler's ML, you did send them to me, and I am not requesting them again.
Old January 2, 2016   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Carolyn, you are confusing me, lol. Of coarse you sent me the Estler's Mortgage Lifter. I was very appreciative. Are you confused about what this list is? It is my list for what I am planning to plant this summer, which is why it should say my 2016 List on the tittle, not 2015. I am no asking for these seeds, just sharing my plans for what I would like to plant. I have a second post asking where I can obtain the Nicky Crain seeds only, which I can get at Sandhill. I do have the Estler's ML, you did send them to me, and I am not requesting them again.
I know all of that as you do as well, but I was trying to find your other thread where I had asked you about it, and found it in your Nicky Crain thread and posted there today.

Carolyn