Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 3, 2007   #1
natural
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Plants with broken leaf stems?

I walked into my makeshift greenhouse earlier to discover several tomato plants with leaf stems that appeared to be broken off at the connection to the main stem. The leaf stems were just dangling. I couldn't see any insects, but am new to growing in a confined space.

Does this sound like insect damage or an environmental issue?

Thanks for any info.
Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2007   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Bill, was this towards the bottom of the plant or random?
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2007   #3
natural
Tomatovillian™

Suze,

They are mainly from the mid-to upper level stems. Plants have about 3 sets of leaves. Sometimes the stems appear to be broken off (or bitten) midway along the stem, other time closer to the main stem.

I've noticed some aphids, but not that many. Haven't spotted anything else.
Old April 4, 2007   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Well, if you were were seeing clean breaks next to the main stem towards the bottom of the plant, that might indicate a problem with lighting or nutrients, and sometimes overwatering can do it too. Also, older leaves towards the bottom do tend to sometimes drop off eventually.

But since you say it's sometimes midway and also more the mid to upper level stems, that suggests a pest problem to me. Aphids wouldn't do that kind of damage. I'd look for hornworms (they can really eat a lot) or mice.

The mice would likely be visiting when you aren't around, which is why you don't see them. My bet is mice or some other type of rodent, because of the breaks you are describing.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2007   #5
natural
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.

My guess is a water issue or insects. Way to early here for hornworms.

It mainly seems to happen on the weaker plants (smaller or skinnier trunks), many of them cherry tomatoes. Also on many pepper plants as well.

I do remember this happening last year to many of our peppers. Many time there was nothing left but a main stem and the top 2 leaves. The peppers survived, but never really thrived.
Old April 5, 2007   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

An abscission layer exists between the main leaf and the trunk of the plant.
This main leaf is where the small sprout that comes out of the crotch of this main leaf gets its nutrients from.

As the plant gets older and the sprout/branch starts to grow it is natural for this leaf to turn yellow and fall off at this abscission layer.
If I see this yellowing of the main leaf I know it is time to remove it to cut back on diseases as it has done its job in providing said nutrients to the young branch.
(I don’t prune)
Premature yellowing and unexplained yellowing is also a sign of too much water, as Suze says.
If these main leaves are falling/breaking off somewhere in the middle of said leaf and not at the main stem then it is not from over watering as there is no abscission layer at this point of the leaf.

It could be a critter or small bug that is causing this to happen.
I have this breaking off of the leaf in the middle all of the time but in my case it is my dog’s tail doing the work.

If it is at the main stem and from what I have read it sounds like it is an environmental issue from too much water or the lack of nutrients in the soil.
Too much water will inherently cause lack of nutrients in many plants.

If the plants are old and still very small from the cold or whatever then the leaves will just get tired and fall off.
And as you said it will take a long time if at all to recover from this stunting.

Plants like tomatoes and peppers have some distinct growing periods they go through.
If one or more of these periods is disrupted for any length of time it will not be beneficial to the over all health of the plant.

Such as, “well this is as big as I’m gonna get so I might as well put on fruit and have seeds”, better luck next year.

Drooping plants but still green (lack of water).

Yellowing of plants but still erect (lack of nutrients or too much water).

Really dark green plants but leaf tips showing blackened or burnt look, (too much nitrogen or too close to the BBQ PIT).

I hope this doesn’t sound condescending I’m just trying to help and have on idea how much some of you guys know about plants.
I don't know much my self, I just have luck on my side most of the time.

How big are the plants?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2007   #7
natural
Tomatovillian™

Hey,
Thanks for all of the great info Suze and Worth. Sorry I don't have pictures as I know that would help.

The plants are about 8 to 12 inches tall, 8 weeks old and were xp into 4 inch pots about 3 to 4 weeks ago. They all look healthy and green with the exception of the cherries that are a little smaller and thinner. Same goes for the peppers (except not as tall, of course).

I think they are too spoiled (not hardened enough). They really haven't had much wind or cold. I guess time will tell.

I had probably stop worrying about it and start worrying about the temps falling into the 20's the next 3 nights! LOL