Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 18, 2016   #16
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

No, don't use that hot stuff as a deterrent. It puts them into a "family" way and then you're gonna have lots of little garden robbers crunching all your would-be harvests.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #17
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
No, don't use that hot stuff as a deterrent. It puts them into a "family" way and then you're gonna have lots of little garden robbers crunching all your would-be harvests.

huh? Are you saying that pepper juice is an aphrodisiac? Never heard that one before, sounds like you are yanking on my leg.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #18
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Oh Heavens to Betsy. No, Ted that is not what causes pregnancy. Have you not learned about the birds and the bees yet. It is a specific act the puts them in a family way.......
Old July 18, 2016   #19
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I usually have a young groundhog who samples my lowest hanging tomatoes in the cages but it is super dry here now and I think that they are looking for water so I usually put out a bowl of water and that seems to stop the tomato eating. They don't bother the plants themselves.

I have a 3 foot high fence that is not buried around the part of my garden containing the beans and other rabbit friendly crops and it keeps out the rabbits and groundhogs. I have never found any evidence of digging under the fence.

I thought that fence permits were needed for fencing yards and swimming pools, not gardens. At lease here, I wouldn't need a permit to fence a garden.

Last edited by brownrexx; July 18, 2016 at 09:44 AM.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #20
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

is the fencing permit p.o.a. bs, or city code?

I wouldn't ask permission for doodley squat...........
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2016   #21
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

My statement is the result of watching my resident female "whistlepig" consume three large, fully ripe and ready to pick, cayenne peppers. Only took about three minutes and I never saw the little she-devil blink an eye about it. Then I started seeing more adult groundhogs and after they went away, there were 5 juveniles climbing all over the woodpile and the mama.

My conclusion remains my primary opinion.

Patti, the birds stay away from the woodpile and the bees won't build nests in there, either. I've even seen snakes bailing out of there as though they have been assaulted. It could be the mama groundhog gets "aggressive" after the cayenne.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote