Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 2, 2017   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Eark of Edgecombe Habit

I am growing Earl of Edgecombe in 2017. So I personally will answer this question sometime in June, but I have seen Earl of Edgecombe listed as a dwarf indeterminate and a compact indeterminate. Those two are not the same. Tatiana lists it as dwarf as does Delectation of Tomatoes. Dave's Garden lists height at 6-8'. For those who have/do grow it--is it dwarf or no? What height does it get to in your garden?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

And I can't edit my typo in my title. If anyone can edit that it would be much appreciated.
Old January 2, 2017   #3
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I am growing Earl of Edgecombe in 2017. So I personally will answer this question sometime in June, but I have seen Earl of Edgecombe listed as a dwarf indeterminate and a compact indeterminate. Those two are not the same. Tatiana lists it as dwarf as does Delectation of Tomatoes. Dave's Garden lists height at 6-8'. For those who have/do grow it--is it dwarf or no? What height does it get to in your garden?
I grew Earl of Edgecombe this past summer, and it was definitely a compact indeterminate for me. Grew it in a 5' cage, and it reached the top by September. No way was it one of the monster indeterminates like Brandywine or Lucky Cross.
I found it grew very similar in size to Picardy, if you're familiar with that one.

Definitely a nice bush compact with good branching and leaf cover for the fruits.
No way is it a dwarf, as I grew a number of the dwarf tomato project varieties.
Closest I would say is maybe it's similar in growth habit as New Big Dwarf, which if you've ever grown it in-ground will easily reach 5' tall and bushy. (I grew that one as well last summer.)

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: I asked for input on Earl of Edgecombe last spring because I was considering growing it in a container, and there seemed to be consensus that it was doable in a 5 gallon bucket. After growing it in-ground, I would agree, though I'd expect it to be a bit more limited in size. That is usually the case anyways.
Same goes for New Big Dwarf. The dwarf tomato project ones I grew easily in 3.8 gallon nursery containers and they were NOT stunted to me.

Last edited by TC_Manhattan; January 2, 2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Add'l comment.
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #4
FigPig
Tomatovillian™

Agreed. It hit 5-6' for me in the ground, definitely more compact than the indeterminates in the same bed. Well behaved plant.
FigPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Just b/c I've seen so many plant habits mentioned here for one variety and I was the one who first introduced it by SSE listing it I decided to fetch Tania's link for it

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Earl_of_Edgecombe

It is an indeterminate, not a dwarf, maybe a bit more compact than a rampant sprawling indet.

I know it very well since for many years I was SSE listing it,it was and still is very popular, so I had to grow it every few years to get enough seeds to keep listing it. I spread it around by sending seeds to several seed vendors and also offering it in many seed offers at different places.

Be sure to read the history that Tania gives,which is correct.

Carolyn
Old January 3, 2017   #6
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone for the information. I didn't think it was dwarf, but wanted to know what to expect.