Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 6, 2017   #1
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Default How compact is "Black"? Is it productive?

Both the description at TGS and Tania's site say it tastes quite good, and TGS says it's "compact".

Just wondering whether anyone's grown it and how large the plant got, whether it was well-behaved, etc.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #2
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I grew 4 black plants last year, seeds from TGS. The plants almost grew
to the top of 5' cages. The tomatoes came on fairly early, were symmetrical
all the same size, blemish free a good looking tomato. Production wasn't
great but I did get quite a few. Taste was good. The plants didn't make
it all season, blight took them out. I would grow them again. When
they were healthy, they were probably the best looking plants in the
whole garden.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #3
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, pmcgrady. That's good info.
Old January 6, 2017   #4
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the post/question. Black sounds like it might be a good substitute to try for Perth Pride which splits badly for me in an EarthBox.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2017   #5
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Thanks for the post/question. Black sounds like it might be a good substitute to try for Perth Pride which splits badly for me in an EarthBox.
-GG
I didn't have any that split, but they were grown in ground. They probably would make a pretty good container tomato. I got a few seeds (not a lot) if someone wants to try them this year, they aren't in my lineup this year (too many varieties )... Gladly send seeds!
Old January 6, 2017   #6
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Thanks, pmcgrady. That's good info.
*wink*
Mine is but to serve...
Glad to be of assistance!
Old January 12, 2017   #7
shule1

I grew Black. Mine was the Territorial Seed version. It had large fruit and was early for the fruit size. I'm not sure on the plant size, but it wasn't enormous. I got about one good-looking tomato. It didn't have much taste (I imagine if it had continued to produce, later ones would have had more taste). The parent plants were probably grown in a more temperate area. The one fruit I got had lots of good-looking seeds (which I gladly saved).

Last edited by shule1; January 12, 2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old January 12, 2017   #8
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

"I grew a variety called Black, but I don't think it's the same one in your first link. Mine was the Territorial Seed version. It had large fruit and was early for the fruit size. I'm not sure on the plant size, but it wasn't enormous."

That got me thinking...
I just noticed from the link descriptions in the first post that there is a significant difference in size:
TGS = 4 oz. TB = 8-12 oz. Two different toms? The tomato base mentions that there is more than one.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2017   #9
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
"I grew a variety called Black, but I don't think it's the same one in your first link. Mine was the Territorial Seed version. It had large fruit and was early for the fruit size. I'm not sure on the plant size, but it wasn't enormous."

That got me thinking...
I just noticed from the link descriptions in the first post that there is a significant difference in size:
TGS = 4 oz. TB = 8-12 oz. Two different toms? The tomato base mentions that there is more than one.
That's what I was thinking, but you'll note I edited my post. I looked at the description of someone's growout of the TGS seeds, and it sounded more like what I had. Maybe it's just smaller in Florida. Looking back, I don't see it. I think I read the person's review of the tomato wrong or something.

Last edited by shule1; January 12, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old January 12, 2017   #10
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

It looks like someone confused Black with Black Russian.

To add to the confusion, Thompson & Morgan has a Black Russian with "medium" tomato size and 79" height.

Unfortunately, I have no idea which source is correct or has seed that will actually produce a compact plant.
Old January 12, 2017   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

The TGS site today says, Black #5785 (30 seeds) Compact plants bear plenty of wonderfully rich, dark mahogany-brown tomatoes that average about 4 ozs. Black tomatoes have a delicious blend of sugar and acid and a distinctive, complex flavor that is to be savored. Some folks say this variety is one of the best-tasting black tomatoes and prefer it also for its nice, medium size. Russian heirloom. Indeterminate. 80-85 days.

My TGS pack from 2007 says, Black #5785 (30 seeds) Compact plants bear plenty of wonderfully rich, dark mahogany-brown tomatoes that average about 4 ozs. Fruit is smooth and somewhat elongated with a pointed tip; in fact, this variety is what some gardeners grew as Black Prince years ago. Black tomatoes have a delicious blend of sugar and acid and a distinctive, complex flavor that is to be savored. Some folks say this variety is one of the best-tasting black tomatoes and prefer it also for its nice, medium size. Russian heirloom.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote