Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.
|
|
April 22, 2015 | #16 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Toothpicks. So cheap and so effective. Why go to the time, trouble, or expense of using something else.
Carolyn is right about thick sturdy plants being less susceptible. The longer they are hardened off the thicker and tougher the main stem will be. Still down here they are still vulnerable for a while just not as much. My friend lost his only yellow bell pepper 4 days after setting it out with a collar and the plant was very thick, very well hardened off, a foot tall and blooming. He finally went and got some toothpicks before planting his next bed of tomatoes and peppers. I also lost some pretty large plants before I started using the toothpicks. When I set out young tender seedlings I will sometimes even put three or more toothpicks around them just to be sure since they are so vulnerable. Bill |
March 2, 2017 | #17 |
BANNED FOR LIFE
|
A use for the worn out sushi mat
|
March 2, 2017 | #18 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I'll have to remember the curtain rod. I use PVC pipe. Some I just let be and others I put a bit of foil around , helps to keep foil off of the plant.
|
March 2, 2017 | #19 | |
|
Quote:
|
|
March 2, 2017 | #20 |
BANNED FOR LIFE
|
That is my soil 100% in the garden. There is always oak leaf matter in different stages of decomposition going on in our gardens. This year, there is green manure in the form of Elbon cereal rye decomposing as well.
|
March 3, 2017 | #21 | |
|
Quote:
One thing that might help is removing leaves and stuff a certain distance from your plants, until the threat has passed. I'm not sure how far it would need to be. I don't know if you want to do that, though. |
|
|
|