Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 10, 2017   #1
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

Default Indoor Hydroponic Tomato Garden

Hello!

I've started acquiring some items for my winter hydroponic garden and was curious as to others experience/feedback.

At this point in time I think I'm steering towards a DWC system in 5 gallon buckets, but I'm open to opinions on this as well. The buckets and nutes are the only items I have yet to purchase.

Acquired: (can be returned as well)

Grow tent: 48" x 48" x 78"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A202IRVDND9C8Z

Light: 300W LED Full Spectrum - will probably need additional lighting as well?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2L94QV6P0R9ON

I plan on growing mainly tom's (indeterminate with plenty of pruning, etc.), but also 2 pepper plants to get a head start for Spring of next year.

Questions:

1) what is the most preferred/productive method for tom's, DWC in 5 gal buckets?
2) how many tomato plants (all will likely be indeterminate, single stem) can i fit in the tent i have listed above? What if i went with a 60" x 60" x 80" tent instead?
3) what would your recommendation be for the type and amount of light needed in the grow tent i have listed as well as a 60" x 60" x 80" tent?

Appreciate any insight and guidance. This is very new to me and will likely have a growing amount of questions as i continue down this path.

Thanks!

Zeus
Zeus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's my take on your scenario. 4 toms and 2 peppers in 16 sq ft is pretty tight, even with pruning. The peppers would need lower light source than the indeterminate toms due to shading from the toms. I understand that for LED lighting, the recommended watts per sq ft is 32, so you would need over 500 watts for 16 sq ft (512) You might be able to get by with smaller buckets with single stems and DWC. Even with LED your electric bill is going to take a hit if you keep your lights on 16 hrs per day. Looks like a fun project!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #3
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

thanks for the info. the wattage you gave puts it into a better perspective. haha, i am determined at this point to figure it out! think it would be plenty of fun!

Zeus
Zeus123 is offline   Reply With Quote