Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2017   #1
Relish
Tomatovillian™

Default Podcast, books, magazines?

Hi all! I am new to the forum and tomato growing in general. I plan on having a trial run this summer. I fully expect to make a bucket load of mistakes. But that is ok. That is how we all learn, right? I have found this forum extremely educational, insightful and ultimately helpful. But I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of any other useful resources. For example, is there a tomato growing podcast that anybody knows of? Also, is there any good books out there that come recommended? I see that there are a huge amount available if I do an online search on http://www.for-sale.co.uk/, but I am sure that some are better than others, so I thought I would ask here first before buying. (I don't always trust reviews, so easily faked). Are there any digital magazines I could subscribe to? Something I could read on my Kindle? Apologies for the scattergun nature of my questions. I am just really excited to learn as much as I can going into the summer to give myself the best chance of success. Thanks in advance to anybody who can offer me any pointers. Cheers.

Last edited by Relish; May 10, 2017 at 02:38 AM.
Relish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

Welcome to madness!!! Your addiction will get worse, LOL, gardening and tomatoes, that is.

There are a lot of good books out there, depending on how you wish to grow things. Carolyn Male's Book, and then the book "Epic Tomatoes". Both authors post here, Carolyn is a mod.

I lean toward a more Ruth Stout method at times, because it's easy and works for me.

Enjoy the site, others will chime in and there are many ways and thoughts as to how to do this delightful pastime.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #3
rhoder551
Tomatovillian™

Hello, welcome

I see you are in the UK. There is a lot of good gardening videos on youtube and quite a number are posted by gardeners in the UK. I don't have any favorites but most usually have a tip or two you can use. Just watch a few until you find someone you like... When I first started gardening, this is what I did and I learned a lot. Also, I garden in a community garden where there are many experienced gardeners; I just imitated what others were doing for the first season or two until I felt more confident.
rhoder551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2017   #4
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

What type of garden will you start with? Traditional, raised bed, square foot, organic, hugel?
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #5
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

I have found these videos to be very helpful and informative. I watched most of them twice.
http://www.craiglehoullier.com/resources/
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote