Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 14, 2017   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Hardening off

OK, once again I am faced with crazy weather changes and my work schedule just when I want to start hardening off my plants. Today it is cool, 50 degrees, breezy and with occasional light showers. I put them out for the first time, planning on leaving them out for just a couple of hours. Tomorrow is forecast to be another cool, mostly cloudy day with with an occasional shower and 60 degrees. I am working tomorrow. Think I could leave them out all day until I get home at approx. 4-4:30 pm? The biggest issue comes after that. Tues is supposed to be 77 degrees and mostly sunny, and I am working. Would it be safe to leave them out all day when it is that warm, if I put them on the North side of the house where it is shaded in the afternoon? It gets worse. I am off Weds and Thurs but it is supposed to suddenly get very warm, 87 degrees on Weds., and 91 degrees on Thurs! Assuming they make it until then, should I put them out for a couple of hours in the morning and then take them in? If I do that, can I bring them in for a few hours and then put them back out for a little longer later in the day? They need to be able to stay out all day by Friday when I go back to work. I am working all weekend, and it is supposed to be back down to 81 degrees on Fri., and in the 70s Sat and Sun. As long as that doesn't change and I leave them out of direct afternoon sun, I think they should be OK. They are in my Radio Flyer Wagon and a few small boxes so I can bring them in and out without too much trouble WHEN I am home.

How do I deal with working and a week of weather that ranges from highs of 58 degrees (today) to highs of 91 degrees(Thurs)? Last year for the first time I had a disaster and lost most of my plants because It turned out to be very windy, the plants were left out all day while i was at work, and I came home to them dried out, wind burned, and completely limp. I only salvaged a few for my own garden, and had none to share. It was heartbreaking. Really don't want a repeat of that.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #2
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I leave them outside in a spot that gets sun in the morning and is sheltered from rain.
If you don't have a spot like that, leave them in the shade all day,at least they will get used to the temp swings.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #3
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, my house faces east, so I can leave them in front of the garage, with the garage overhang they would be partially protected from rain. There is a tree in the front yard I could leave them under, but it is kind of close to the road and I might loose a few to passersby. That seems to have happened a couple of times in past years.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017   #4
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Another option is full sun but with cheesecloth over them like the tobacco fields.
Remove layers as they get used to the outside.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote