Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2017   #16
Frank D
Tomatovillian™

I ran over one with a push mower. Not fun at all.
Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #17
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This was the third time I have fertilized this season. First was with 10-10-10. Three weeks ago - I used Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1, and today was the MG 18-18-21. I will feed/fertilize them in later June if it looks like it'll help. It depends on how hot it gets, and if Fusarium Wilt sets in or not.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am fertilizing once a week.
I have a large family to feed.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

This is the most I've ever fertilized in a season. The cages I put around the plants makes scratching in 10-10-10 a real pain. Spraying the Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 was the easiest of the three methods. I need to buy a better sprayer though.
Old May 29, 2017   #20
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

sometimes less is more. if you mulch and take care of your dirt you probably don't even need MG in this part of the country. Jersey really does have the best tomatoes.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #21
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

MG has granular slow release fertilizer for tomatoes, peppers ... that has calcium too.
It is called "Shake N Feed " for tomatoes, with a picture of tomato and pepper on it.
That is the best tomato food in container growing. Number one : Its got Calcium. Number two. It is released slowly.

MG blue stuff ( 24-8-16 ) is a pretty good all purpose fertilized. Most plants use NPK in that proportion. But tomatoes and potatoes can benefit from slightly higher ratio of K. That is the one I use most. It is convenient to use and pound per pound you get a better bang for the buck.
Here is the math : 24+8 + 16 = 48. That is 48% combined fertilizer. Compare that, for example, Alaska Fish fert ( 5-1-1). It is 7% fertilizer and 93% filler.

Disclaimer : I am not a MG employee/sales person and do not own any stock of the company.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yeah but MG doesn't draw in coons.
Without coons you cant have coon sausage.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2017   #23
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Gardeneer, I fashioned my feeding/fertilizing schedule after reading a lot of ZZzzzZZ info. It can become mind numbing. There are so many sites that says one way is better than the other. I did find a site that seems like a pretty good one that explains things realistically without a lot of biased thoughts and BS. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-use...gro-96305.html