Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2017   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I just cut into a tomato with what looks like it may be the beginning of internal BER. If it isn't, do any of you know what it could be? There is no sign of a puncture on the skin or any discoloration.
Robert, I couldn't find any good pictures of internal BER but I'll keep looking when I have time.

In my experience what I see is a very large area of black tissue since the Ca++ has run out before it gets to the blossom end.

This may help a bit, I don't know,I don't like some of those pictures, as I said above

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...Tom_ComDis.htm

Carolyn
Old June 7, 2017   #17
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've often encountered it inside of plum and elongated pastes that have otherwise looked perfectly normal. This picture is the closest I found to what mine have looked like.

Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Father'sDaughter, It is the same thing. It isn't in the seeds.

Carolyn, I wish I had taken pictures in 2015 when there was so much internal BER. It was nasty looking. It was like tomatoes with sepsis.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Salts tomato looks over ripe to me.

On a side note in my tubs I was worried about calcium and BER because there isn't any real soil in them.
I kept them watered and the same with the tomato plants in the containers.
No BER.
Then it dawned on me I am giving them calcium every time I water.
If you are on city water in Bastrop you will never have to put calcium in your garden.
No joke.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #20
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The only thing that I can add is that I saved (from a very rare and near impossible to find variety) seeds from BER fruit. None the next year produced any plant problems at all. Sometimes the seeds in BER fruit are not fully developed, so that can be a problem.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #21
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
The only thing that I can add is that I saved (from a very rare and near impossible to find variety) seeds from BER fruit. None the next year produced any plant problems at all. Sometimes the seeds in BER fruit are not fully developed, so that can be a problem.

I've done the same. As long as the seeds are mature, there is no reason not to save seeds from tomatoes with BER. And the tomatoes that have had it hiding inside simply get the black clump cleaned out before they get added to the sauce pot.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote