Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 5, 2017   #16
LDiane

I keep track of ones that I will never grow again.

Sicilian Saucer was a huge plant that produced two tomatoes - a couple of months apart.
Old June 5, 2017   #17
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
tricky question since as an example 1 year I had silvery fir tomato plants and they only had 6 tomatoes on them.Other people would give them a positive rating.
SFT, 6 tomatoes ??
I have 2 of them . Probably each had 40 or more. I have been harvesting from April 30th and they keep pumping.

Back to topic.
I just go by my general feeling how the varieties do. Some I can count , some cannot.
Old German has 4 tomatoes right now, Brandy Boy Has so many that I won't bother counting them. Or I remember last yeas my CP produced about 8 -10 tomatoes but they were all close to one pound each. IS RL, had maybe twice as many but much smaller. Right now one of my Esterina (F2) maybe has 200 tomatoes and keeps pumping. To me it is time consuming to count and weight them. All I know that it is coming back the next season. Same story about Sungold.
I have over 50 plants . Counting and weighing tomatoes will be a big job.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2017   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth View Post
tricky question since as an example 1 year I had silvery fir tomato plants and they only had 6 tomatoes on them.Other people would give them a positive rating.
hmmm so many factors in play it's difficult to know what happened here. As an example, did you prune them? pruning determinates decreases yield dramatically. Did they get disease? Growing conditions and fertilization vary greatly as well from one grower to another and from one season to the next. Is the plant still alive? Healthy? sometimes determinates will put out a second flush of blooms if you continue to care for them and fertilize as long as they are healthy.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2017   #19
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

They grew about 2 feet tall but very few blossoms.
Of the few tomatoes I had 2,4,6oz sizes.
Other varieties nearby did fine.
I started saved seeds this week but probably too late for any results this year.
Probably end up growing them indoors later on.
The indigo series have the same type leaves.
Indigo ruby and indigo kumquat.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #20
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Some years ago I started out counting tomatoes picked, then for about 5 years or so I also weighed them and recorded the data in my garden notebook. After a couple years I never got around to analyzing the data. Then I got busier, and for the past couple years I've more or less noted which varieties I picked from which garden, and sometimes how many, but never got around to weighing them. This way I can eat tomatoes in the gardens and not have to remember to record data later!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2017   #21
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
I keep track of ones that I will never grow again.

Sicilian Saucer was a huge plant that produced two tomatoes - a couple of months apart.
http://durgan.org/2016/August%202016...Tomatoes/HTML/ 29 August 2016 Sicilian Saucer Tomatoes.
There are two Sicilian Saucer Tomato plants which are prolific producers. The fruit are large. The heaviest being 2 pounds and the texture is excellent. However all the fruit is somewhat scared. Twenty pounds were made into 9 liters of juice and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. The canning portion is not depicted.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #22
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

I don't... But in general, I don't worry much about production, because even though I don't grow that many plants - it's still much more than I need. So if a variety tastes good, I keep it even if the production isn't great.

However, if it's close to nothing, it frustrates me...
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote