Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK
|
|
February 5, 2020 | #1 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Is there a good way to freeze broccoli?
We have tried freezing broccoli repeatedly over the years but the finished product was mushy when cooked. I was just wondering if anyone knows a good method for freezing broccoli that results in something a bit more crisp after cooking?
Bill |
February 5, 2020 | #2 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quick blanch, into ice water to completely stop the cooking. Drain well and lay in a single flat layer and freeze on sheet pan. Then portion into bags or containers from there. IMO the stalks hold the majority of the moisture and thus can be softer. At least in my experience. Can do the same procedure for "Broccoli Rice."
|
February 6, 2020 | #3 |
Tomatovillian™
|
We do the very same as HGC. Cauliflower too. Just keep in mind that what we do at home will never be exactly the same as the professionally flash frozen product but will still be great for casseroles, etc.
|
February 6, 2020 | #4 |
Tomatovillian™
|
What do you mean by quick blanch?
Bill |
February 6, 2020 | #5 |
Tomatovillian™
|
For me that's dumping them into boiling water for two minutes and then immediately into ice water for three minutes before draining and blotting off the excess water. It's also called "shocking" vegetables. It stops the enzymes that make stuff keep ripening and sets the color.
|
February 6, 2020 | #6 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
|
|
February 6, 2020 | #7 |
Tomatovillian™
|
|
February 13, 2020 | #8 |
Tomatovillian™
|
We have done it exactly that way but it still is only good for casseroles as it is just too mushy for eating by itself. I wonder if blanching for a far shorter time would work?
Bill |
February 13, 2020 | #9 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I don't blanch broccoli for 2 minutes, unlike other things like sweet corn or beans.
I blanch in serving size pieces, putting the more solid stem pieces without florets into the boiling water first, when the water returns to a boil, I put in the florets, dunking them with a spoon so that they all get submersed at some point. I remove them when they have turned the darker green, maybe after just 30 seconds to a minute, tops. I have very cold tap water from our deep well, so they go into several changes of cold water in a dishpan sized container until they are cool enough to drain and bag up. I believe freezing itself causes some limpness, so they will never be as crisp as fresh, but I think reducing the blanch time helps.
February 17, 2020 | #10 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Bill |
|
|
|