Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK
|
|
March 24, 2020 | #1 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Lacto-Fermented Sauerkraut
SauerKraut March 7th, 2020 Well, it has been a long time since I made some Fermented Sauerkraut. 3 tablespoons of salt per 5 pounds of shredded cabbage I tried using a food processor with no luck, I ended up using my Boerner V-Slicer. Store bought Cabbage
March 10th, 2020 March 21st, 2020
Procedure
Fully fermented kraut may be kept tightly covered in the refrigerator for several months or it may be canned as follows:
Boiling water process times Hot Pack Raw PackPint: 10 minutes Pints: 20 minutesQuarts: 15 minutes Quarts: 25 minutes |
March 24, 2020 | #2 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I don't think you need to can Sauerkraut. You'll kill all the beneficial bacteria. Just keep it in the fridge and it'll keep for ever so long as it is submerged in the brine. But, let me add that I loved this post because I love making homemade sauerkraut and it is great to see others making it too.
Last edited by recruiterg; March 24, 2020 at 05:05 PM. |
March 24, 2020 | #3 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Yes I'm aware of the Lactobacilli being killed, that's why I didn't can it all.
I would love to keep it all raw but would need a walk in refrigerator to store it. I'm already fighting for refrigerator space for my other accoutrements. |
March 25, 2020 | #4 |
Tomatovillian™
|
If you use a fermentation pot (like the ones with water in the lid) you can keep it for 1-2 years in the cellar, and maybe in the house, if it's not super hot. As long as you don't open it and you don't allow the water to evaporate completely (this is actually the biggest problem). The fermentation has replaced all the oxygen, so it's kinda like a vacuum in there.
I love some good old fermented cabbage, done simple like this. |
March 25, 2020 | #5 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Zipcode, some folks do that right in the mason jars and pop on the shelf. I have read where folks constantly keep a batch going and add to it.
You could probably also just use Fido Jars. I like it both ways but prefer it raw as an accoutrement on my dogs. I like it cooked for my kielbasa and sauerkraut. |
|
|