General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.
|
|
May 26, 2020 | #1 |
Tomatovillian™
|
EarthBox Liquid Fertilizer Only
Can one grow in the EarthBoxes w/o fertlizer strip, only by adding liquid fertilizer through the tube? If so, how often and how much, going to use a Miracle Grow Plant Food (15-30-15) ? I am growing Sweet Peppers and Pickling Cucumbers in the EB. Planning to give calcium snack too
Thanks |
May 27, 2020 | #2 |
Tomatovillian™
|
You certainly can, but most experience is based upon using a granular fertilizer, so if you go with liquid only you're kind of on your own to figure out the right recipe. I imagine some liquid fertilizers will do a better job than others at wicking into the soil vs collecting at the bottom of the reservoir.
|
May 27, 2020 | #3 |
Tomatovillian™
|
There was a great thread on Gardenweb about fertilizing in containers. I think this is it.
https://www.houzz.com/discussions/14...ants-long-post This one is helpful too, but includes stuff about the container mix for wicking a dry fertilizer. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/13...container-size Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 27, 2020 at 09:23 PM. |
May 28, 2020 | #4 |
Tomatovillian™
|
thank you to both. I'll give it a try.
|
May 29, 2020 | #5 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Weak feeding with almost every watering, preferably in a ratio that is good for tomatoes (2-1-3 would be a good all around). Since the EB is a closed system, the farther away you stray, the more certain stuff will accumulate (in your case that would be P). Should still be ok I guess, if you plan to change your medium every year.
Now, how much fertilizer per liter? If we look at instructions, they say 2 cups for 1 container. That's a pretty hefty amount, at lest 500g. For my pruned to one stem plants, I use about 500l for 2 plants per season (very guesstimate). So let's say you use 1000. That would mean you should add 0.5g per liter at every watering. |
May 29, 2020 | #6 |
Tomatovillian™
|
My current mix in the boxes is pretty old. 7-10 years, probably. If I have to change it, I will.
I don't grow tomatoes in EBs. Peppers and cucumbers. Thank you. We will see. If EB holds 3 gallon, then 1.2 tsp per watering of empty box. I assume 1/3 of that. Or 1/4 of tsp/daily. Last edited by TigrikT; May 29, 2020 at 04:11 PM. |
|
|