General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.
|
|
June 6, 2021 | #16 |
Tomatovillian™
|
No, I don’t have it in hand! pH is around 8 here, and I grow in Pro Mix HP. What would I be targeting as optimal?
|
June 6, 2021 | #17 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Many don't know, but we just don't grow tomatoes, we have a large retail center. We have several thousand people come through every year, we do sessions with the state Master Gardeners programs, we do tours, and have an information center where people can learn. We are a full service GH and setting up home hobby growers is what we do, weather it be organic twists or synthetics in containers. We are also in a huge loop, we can call or send samples to labs, I have white coat support everywhere, we are also under scrutiny of the USDA, DEC, EPA, etc, etc. In short, T's crossed I's dotted daily, and we try to pass along high value information so people are successful and HAPPY. The last three words all go together. In short you can add pH down to your fert tank, I put mine by itself. |
|
June 6, 2021 | #18 |
Tomatovillian™
|
You are a wealth of information, I’ve made a lot of my own plans based upon your grow threads! Do you measure your pH from runoff to account fir the medium or the fetigation solution? I’m growing in mostly peat which I understand is acidic, so I assume needs to be factored in?
|
June 6, 2021 | #19 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Keep us posted on your results, enjoy the season. Last edited by AKmark; June 6, 2021 at 10:49 PM. |
|
June 6, 2021 | #20 |
Tomatovillian™
|
AK Mark. I did soil tests myself with a Environmental Concepts test kit this spring. According to it, I am N depleted, P sufficient, and K off the chart (I'm I'm reading the K test right) PH at 7-7.5. Other than a dump of AMS (which I did at .5#/100 sq ft.) what would you recommend?
June 7, 2021 | #21 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
If it were me, I would add Blood Meal and Fish Bone Meal or Seabird Guano and would still add some K/ Langbenite, which has MgSO4 in it too. I would also be tempted to use our 4-18-38 mix once a week for another method, and would use observation as a guide for further application. Last would be a general use or very dialed back whatever and observation again, notes are helpful too. I tell people often that we stumble forward, that's how we learn the best. Good luck, tomatoes are hard to burn up, they are also pretty forgiving. https://nrcca.cals.cornell.edu/nutri...CA2_print.html Last edited by AKmark; June 7, 2021 at 12:12 PM. |
|
June 7, 2021 | #22 | |
Tomatovillian™
|
Quote:
Also, a stock solution with calcium nitrate should definitely possible, texas tomato food has a good amount of calcium nitrate in it, not sure what the trick is though. |
|
June 14, 2021 | #23 |
Tomatovillian™
|
AK Mark - How much liquid masterblend, epsom salt, and calcium nitrate mix would you feed a plant in a 10 gal container per day? 1/2 gallon per day too little/too much?
|
June 16, 2021 | #24 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I'm not AKMark, but you should water to the plant's water requirements. I believe he has recommended that he feeds during almost every watering.
|
June 16, 2021 | #25 |
Tomatovillian™
|
How big is the plant, how warm is the weather, sunny or cloudy, what cultivar, etc, etc? You water when the plants need it. I water three times a day right now, but it has been warm. Use observation to decide frequency, the rest is noted.
|
|
|