General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.
|
|
October 20, 2023 | #1 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Ivan, hard neck garlic
Finished up with the garden for this year by planting Ivan hard neck garlic and mulching it with straw. I never grew Ivan before but I like the taste and the size of the bulbs. I got a pretty decent deal from a Amish farmer in Ohio. I ended up planting 258 cloves of this variety. I plan on making garlic powder with some of it and using it in my pasta sauce I can every year. Ivan has about 7 to 8 cloves per jumbo sized bulb and fewer on smaller sizes it seemed. Im hoping for 10 months of storage from this variety, but we will see. From what I understand this variety has some nice scapes it produces, so im looking forward to using them in some of my cooking and maybe pickling some as well.
|
March 20, 2024 | #2 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I wonder if this garlic is from the breeding work of Dr Ivan Buddenhagen who work on true seed garlic
March 21, 2024 | #3 |
Tomatovillian™
|
I would love to have some Ivan Hard Neck Garlic too, Amen!!
March 23, 2024 | #4 |
Tomatovillian™
|
Dr Ivan
Dr Ivan was able to propagate seed from 30 different types of garlic. I can't seem to find out what the types were.
The Amish farmer where I purchased the Ivan garlic from described it as the following. IVAN - A Canadian variety, and our favorite porcelain hardneck type. Ivan is comparable to Music in many ways. A heavy producer, very easy to grow, sturdy, disease-resistant, and a hardy garlic that likes cold weather. Ivan has very large bulbs (slightly larger than Music) with 4 to 6 very easy-to-peel cloves. When eaten raw, it is a little spicier than Music. When cooked/roasted Ivan offers a lasting garlic flavor with a hint of sweetness. A classic that excels in any recipe. Keeps exceptionally well after harvest. I also seen it described as a Canadian heirloom. |
|
|