Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2008   #1
raydawg
Tomatovillian™

Default Question about lost varieties

I recently was given a "Tomatoes" book from the Horticultural Society of America. The publication date is late 70's with a reprint in the early 80's. The tomatoes listed in the book are heavy in the hybrids with a few called standard. I was wondering is this another name for OP?

One of my favorite pages is in the late season section where it lists Ramapo and two types of Rutgers. Which as I understand it are both making a comeback. There are probably only six or eight yellow/orange and no blacks/purples or greens listed at all.

Also, most of the probably 100 to 200 listed tomato's I do not recognize as currently for sale. And many under the descriptions have "sold at most nurseries". Are these hybrid and standard tomato essentially extinct or renamed, or in the case of the hybrids, are the mix of parents forever lost?
Old April 18, 2008   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

A lot of hybrids no longer available can be found listed
in the tomato sections of the NCSU cultivar list:

http://cuke.hort.ncsu.edu/cucurbit/w...vgclintro.html
Old April 18, 2008   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ray, the link just given to you should help with info about some of the earlier hybrids but that doesn't say that they're still available.

And yes, standard would mean OP to us I would imagine, and depending on the specific varieties mentioned I think many of those would still be available in the SSE Yearbooks for SSE members, or indeed still listed at certain seed source sites, especially Sandhill Preservation.

Again, it depends on the specific varieties in question.