Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 7, 2007   #151
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

And it's not so much resistant as the cucumber does not produce the "bitter" substance near the vine end of the cucumber which is what cucumber beetles smell and are attracted to.

A suggestion which has been posited but I have not seen a definitive experiment, is to blend the bitter ends of ripe cucumbers in a blender along with Sevin insecticide and pour the contents into yellow plastic cups and arrange them around the garden. The only creatures that should find themselves in the bottom of those cups are cucumber beetles.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2007   #152
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Along the same lines as what Feldon is saying, I've also heard that the burpless varieties are not as attractive to cucumber beetles because they lack that bitterness, but I can't swear to it. I mentioned County Fair because rubylune said something about picklers/kirby types in particular.
Old July 8, 2007   #153
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I guess I am lucky because I think the only bug I have not seed is a cucumber beetle! There were beetles in my beans but I was able to hand pick them off before they ate too many leaves. My biggest problem this yearhas been white flies and those little white hopping psillids(sp?). Those hopping varmints move so fast you can hardly spray them with anything! Luckily they are so stupid that they hang out together and are visible enough to sneak up on them! I think there were a few aphids on cucumber leaves but that is about it!

Kelley
kelleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2007   #154
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know fire ants farm aphids, but they sure do. I'm having to spray with soapy water on a regular basis to keep my cucumber plants alive.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old July 8, 2007   #155
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I have not had too many ants in the tomato bed so maybe that is why not so many aphids! I am assuming that the molasses in my compost tea is chasing them elsewhere! Still in all there are enough to get some aphids way up the top of my cukes and maters! I now carry a spray bottle of soapy water with me everytime I go through the garden just to try to keep up with the hoppers! Are beetles of any kind actually good for anything?
Old July 10, 2007   #156
mcasey
Tomatovillian™

Decided I'm tired of losing cukes to Powdery mildew- I spent the winter searching for OP varieties resistant to it and am growing Poinsett 76 , Straight 9 and Marketmore 76. So far , so good. Wish me luck!

Mary Ann
mcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #157
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

I don't think I have ever lost a whole plant to powdery mildew. Have you tried spraying it with a half milk half water solution or using neem? My squash and cukes are always having powery mildew! Its been trying to rain here all week, nothng major just lots of sprinkles and light rain but my squash looks horrible from powdery mildew...
Old July 10, 2007   #158
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure I've posted in here before - but I'm growing Diva (love this cuke) and Burpee Pickler - and both are setting fruit like crazy.
My only prob. ? Keeping them moist in this heat ~

Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2007   #159
kelleyville
Tomatovillian™

Tom,
Even with this rain I can't keep the cukes moist! Mine are setting fruit like crazy but not being pollinated ;(
Old July 10, 2007   #160
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, when it gets really hot, cucumbers need a lot of water or they start to become bitter. I've been watering in the morning and in the afternoon, they look a little wilty so I give them another drink. We should see some relief from the heat here by Thursday.

We had enough Snow's to make a small batch of pickles today and had a few Boothby's Blonde leftover for salads.
Old July 11, 2007   #161
mcasey
Tomatovillian™

Hi Kelley,
I read about the milk spray and am using it on the pattypan squash and zuchini that showed a touch of mildew and it cleared it right up.

Mary Ann
mcasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #162
duajones
Tomatovillian™

My county fair is groing beautifully, I have a soaker hose at the base of the plants and so far no wilt from heat whatsoever. However, almost all of the flowers are female and I seem to have a deficit of pollinators at this point. Hopefully it will start producing soon
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007   #163
Warren
Tomatovillian™

why do they get mildew on them?
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2007   #164
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think Powdery Mildew is a problem faced by pretty much all curcurbits (melons, cucumbers, squash). But I have only been gardening for 2 years. I don't believe I've had it, but it's hard to tell when every other fungal disease is tearing down the plants.

My "no scientific basis" guess is that since curcurbits can trace back to Africa, that they do best in sandy, completely arid climates with no humidity and thrive on the occasional rainfall.

Old July 18, 2007   #165
potager
Tomatovillian™

A quite remarkable cucumber I have been growing a couple of times is the Sikkim Cucumber. The young fruits are almost as ordinary cucumbers, but later the skin gets brown and reminds most of all of the fir from an exotic animal.