Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2015   #181
SummerSky
Tomatovillian™

I've spent the last few days agonizing over what I want to grow this year, and I think I'm ready to list them off! I think... It's definitely subject to change between now and when I start the seeds tomorrow morning...

Cherries
Yellow Pear (my four year old daughter saw a seed packet and decided that's what tomatoes are supposed to look like. She absolutely pleaded with me to get them, I couldn't refuse!)
Ildi
Michael Pollan
Blush
Pink Tiger
Pink Bumblebee
Purple Bumblebee

Salad
Bosque Blue Bumblebee
Dancing with Smurfs

Slicing/Beefsteak
Black Krim
Better Boy F1
Big Boy F1
Pork Chop
Brandywine (Sudduth Strain)
Stump of the World
Kellogg's Breakfast
KBX
Black and Brown Boar
Fantome du Laos
Cherokee Green

Hearts
Rozovyi Myod
Kosovo
Orange Russian 117

Paste
Big Mama F1
Work Release
Speckled Roman
Antique Roman
Cow's Tit
Romeo

Other
Japanese Plum
Costoluto Genovese
Japanese Black Trifele
Striped Cavern (just because)

Dwarfs
Arctic Rose
Pink Passion
Purple Heart
Tumbling Tom
SummerSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2015   #182
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

Summersky- That's exactly what my kids do to me with the Yellow Pear! Ha! Quite the lineup you have there!!
Old April 9, 2015   #183
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSky View Post
I've spent the last few days agonizing over what I want to grow this year, and I think I'm ready to list them off! I think... It's definitely subject to change between now and when I start the seeds tomorrow morning...

I think a lot of us play this game -- it's not final until the seeds hit the dirt!

And I'm glad to see someone else giving Antique Roman a try. I grew it for the first time last year from seeds I got in a swap a couple of years earlier. It was late in my garden, and yield was not great, but the flavor, which was very good for a paste, easily convinced me to give it another chance.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #184
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Nice list. Choosing what to grow is the hardest part .. I guess it might be easier when you know how they perform.
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #185
tuncse
Tomatovillian™

My list for 2015:

Cherries:
Black Cherry
Sungold F1
Riesentraube
Idyll

Oxheart:
Kosovo
Anna Russian
Unknown Oxheart---(Unknown for me, I bought some of these tomatoes from an old lady from the local market and she did not know what variety is. I saved some seeds. The tomatoes was very meaty, dark pink color, excellent flavour. For me was tastier than Anna Russian).

Others:
Stump of the world
Druzba
Stupice
Opalka

Last year all my 150 plant was killed by late blight. I hope this year I will have more luck.
tuncse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #186
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncse View Post
My list for 2015:

Cherries:
Black Cherry
Sungold F1
Riesentraube
Idyll

Oxheart:
Kosovo
Anna Russian
Unknown Oxheart---(Unknown for me, I bought some of these tomatoes from an old lady from the local market and she did not know what variety is. I saved some seeds. The tomatoes was very meaty, dark pink color, excellent flavour. For me was tastier than Anna Russian).

Others:
Stump of the world
Druzba
Stupice
Opalka

Last year all my 150 plant was killed by late blight. I hope this year I will have more luck.
When I saw Idyll, I thought you meant Ildi, but no, for here's a link to Idyll;

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/I...b=General_Info

The old lady you got the heart shaped one from may not have known the name of what she had b/c it may be a family heirloom that never had a name. And that happens all the time. Is it possible you can find her again and ask?

On your list there are many varieties that I had introduced and know well. All to say that sometime in the future I'd love to have some seeds of that heart if possible. I love heart shaped varieties and especially ones that are family heirlooms. And If you find her again when it's tomato season maybe you can find out her name and name the heart one after her.

Carolyn
Old April 10, 2015   #187
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loeb View Post
Ok I will add this Frankenmato to my wishlist I guess I will add other Joe Bratka varietes too.. If 2 of them are among my favourites maybe more of them will be .
Joe bred many varieties which I can tell you about but only three were true heirlooms from his relatives in the Black Forest area of Germany, and those are:

Eva Purple Ball
Marizol Gold
Marizol Purple

He bred many more but said if folks wanted heirlooms varieties he would breed them, and then gave them fictious histories.

Joe died recently and a woman appeared here, I think I remember her user name and wanted some of his varieties if folks could spare the seeds. Joe was her uncle and in all the years Iknew JOe he had never mentioned that he had relatives in the US.

More well known are the ones that Joe's father bred which are:

Box Car Willie
Mule Team
Pasture
Great Divide
Red Barn
Lucky Lady

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old April 10, 2015   #188
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn, I knew only about Marizols. I will try what I will be able to get, good to know about them
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #189
tuncse
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
When I saw Idyll, I thought you meant Ildi, but no, for here's a link to Idyll;

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/I...b=General_Info

The old lady you got the heart shaped one from may not have known the name of what she had b/c it may be a family heirloom that never had a name. And that happens all the time. Is it possible you can find her again and ask?

On your list there are many varieties that I had introduced and know well. All to say that sometime in the future I'd love to have some seeds of that heart if possible. I love heart shaped varieties and especially ones that are family heirlooms. And If you find her again when it's tomato season maybe you can find out her name and name the heart one after her.

Carolyn
Most of the seeds from my growing list are from Tatiana.

The old lady told me that tomatoes were from her garden. I have never seen this variety on the market. In summer i'll try to find her, and ask for her name.

I'm going to have 20 plants from these tomatoes, I will bag some flowers for seed saving and I will send you with pleasure.

I have some pictures but are bigger than is allowed to upload.

Last edited by tuncse; April 10, 2015 at 11:22 AM.
tuncse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #190
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Here's what I plan to grow this year:

Mystery Red Beefsteak (the mystery continues!)
Marianna's Peace (someone suggested my mystery beefsteak resembled MP so I'm going to grow them side-by-side)
Tlacolula Ribbed
Cotelee de Valence (it's actually germinating right now!!!)
Barry's Crazy Cherry
Goji Faranji
Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
Ananas Noire
Berkeley Tie Dye Heart
Belmonte
Creole
Red Pear (giant)
Solar Flare
And a few plants of a zapotec x bc f4 I saved last year that were tasty red cherries.
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #191
joseph
Tomatovillian™

carolyn137: Thanks for your insights...

Stupice is the only variety that I sought out... The rest came to me as gifts or swaps. Hard to be picky in a swap. I received lots of swapped seeds that I suppose I'll never plant. Such Chaos... Such arbitrary choices on what to grow... I know that I mostly want to get away from red tomatoes eventually.

When I conducted formal variety trials for cold/frost tolerance, and short-season under my conditions, some of the most successful varieties came to me from Dan's garden by way of FusionPower. Before that, one of my most successful varieties came from Dan. I'm also growing Dan's tobacco. So when someone offered a swap list with some of Dan's varieties it appealed to me. Inviting new varieties to my garden is akin to a lottery. The house almost always wins, meaning that I almost always lose. But without risk there's little chance for advancement. I'm sure that there are lots of fine varieties out there, grown by lots of fine growers, but they didn't contact me to swap seeds and suggest that there were some Dan McMurray varieties on their lists. I think that it's more the screening for "Intermountain" conditions rather than "Tundra" conditions that works for me.

I filled out an order form to buy seeds from orange fruited tomatoes from one of the famous tomato sites. But they had a minimum order amount, and I just couldn't bring myself to pay for seeds since I've been growing just about all the seed I plant on my farm for the past three years. So I get whatever chaos I get via swaps.

Quote:
Stupice. There were four versions bred, two for ingound growing and two for glasshouse growing.
I suppose that I get to play the Stupice Roulette Wheel to see if I received a variety that attracts bumblebees in my garden. If it don't work out this year, I'll beg seeds from the very plant that was so attractive to them from an informants garden.

Quote:
I know Old German very well. Why would it be useful in your breeding program? Just curious and I ask b'c it's a typical gold/red bicolor and late season and there are over 200 named such bicolors also known, so why Old German specifically?
Three different people sent seed from this variety to me as a gift... I had thought as part of the promiscuous pollination project, but I looked it up just now. I'm guessing it was sent because I said that I (almost) liked the taste of Hillbilly and Virginia Sweets. Old German looks like near kin to them.

I don't much care for the flavor of lycopene in any species, so I'm expecting to select for mostly for orange, yellow, and bicolor tomatoes. Old German is likely to be way too long season for my garden, but I'll give it a chance. Perhaps use it to pollinate a short-season highly-determinate variety.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #192
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I planted about 1500 tomato seeds yesterday. Those that I am trailing for the first time went into pots without labels, so either they will do great for me and get incorporated into one of my breeding projects, or they will be culled. Doesn't matter which one. Because if they stay with me they will be creolized, and if they get culled then I don't care to spend a single extra second of labor on them.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2015   #193
DTedquist
Tomatovillian™

This is my first tomato garden. I thought I would try a few different varieties to see what I like

Black Cherry
Blush
Goose Creek
Golden Queen
Japanese Black Trifele
Humph
Monkey ★★★
Paul Robeson
Rinaldo

And also a few Estamino to try few graftings

Last edited by DTedquist; April 12, 2015 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Forgot a tomato
DTedquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #194
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Is it a small world or big world ?
While Joseph is just germinating , folks down in FL, TX, CA are picking ripe fruits.
I am somewhere in between,
pushing hard to plant out.
If you sow seeds today, I reckon, you won't be getting a ripe fruit til sometime in mid August.
I start harvest around mid July and my harvest season is practically over by the end of September ;
that is about 2.5 months of harvest season. The remaing 9.5 months of the year I am just dreaming.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2015   #195
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I hope to drop tomato seeds during this week, or certainly on the weekend. Peppers and onions are doing well, and some lettuces and other greens and herb seeds went in yesterday. Garden is still completely snow-covered, but hope springs eternal - it's sunny today!