Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 9, 2016   #1936
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Orlando forecast low for tomorrow morning 66 and tomorrow afternoon forecast high 79 and in the next 9 days forecast a lot more sun and very little rain forecast..
Let the tomato setting begin! Well actually it started a time back, but it would sure be nice if it were to pick up speed.
Glad to hear everyone is getting back to normal.
Larry
That is some beautiful cool weather, Larry. We are supposed to cool down too. Can't wait!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #1937
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

When the storm was coming through early AM in Ga/SC I heard someone call in with a way to tell if your freezer has lost power, thawed the contents and refroze when power was restored.

Take a cup of water, freeze solid, place a quarter on top of the frozen ice, leave in freezer. If you evacuate or leave for an extended period and return to find the quarter at the bottom of the cup, you know the contents have thawed, refroze and should not be used.

Some of you may already use this method. I thought it deserved repeating...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #1938
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Great tip! Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #1939
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Ok, so I am worn out and it's sooooooo windy and pretty late in the year for me to be getting the tomato plants just getting going. In 2014 I had ripe tomatoes at the end of October from my tomato plants. I have a different situation than most of you... too much shade in winter because of all the RV's that come in and the sunny area is in the howling winds so my plants get worn out from leaf diseases by Dec/Jan time frame from all the moisture, shade, etc.

So I am thinking about not replanting my earthboxes with the other teenagers and just going with peppers/lettuce and maybe some herbs.

I have plenty of sauce and salsa to last a long while.

What do you all think? I'm afraid I might feel like I made a mistake but right now I just don't feel like messing with them.

Ginny
Old October 10, 2016   #1940
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Ok, so I am worn out and it's sooooooo windy and pretty late in the year for me to be getting the tomato plants just getting going. In 2014 I had ripe tomatoes at the end of October from my tomato plants. I have a different situation than most of you... too much shade in winter because of all the RV's that come in and the sunny area is in the howling winds so my plants get worn out from leaf diseases by Dec/Jan time frame from all the moisture, shade, etc.

So I am thinking about not replanting my earthboxes with the other teenagers and just going with peppers/lettuce and maybe some herbs.

I have plenty of sauce and salsa to last a long while.

What do you all think? I'm afraid I might feel like I made a mistake but right now I just don't feel like messing with them.

Ginny
Ginny, why not compromise. Do 1/3 of the tomatoes you normally would, then the rest with the other stuff. Do you get frosts up there? We dont, so its not too late at all down here.
Old October 10, 2016   #1941
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Thats a good idea. No frosts here. Just wet from dew a lot and hard to find sunny spits out of the wind when the park is full and the days are short.

I will probably do that.

Thanks
Ginny

Old October 10, 2016   #1942
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Thats a good idea. No frosts here. Just wet from dew a lot and hard to find sunny spits out of the wind when the park is full and the days are short.

I will probably do that.

Thanks
Ginny

You might as well. You went to all that trouble to bring them down.
Old October 10, 2016   #1943
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

I wonder if I'm insane to do this, but I'm starting tomato seeds. I just have a hunch from all I'm hearing that this winter will be warmer than usual thanks to global warming. Normally I start them around January and transplant them in mid Feb. I get harvest before April. I guess it would have to be a prolonged growth. Worst case scenario I'll be starting seeds again in two months.

I can't start any sooner than now with the whiteflies around and I don't have space to put all the plants inside, especially with kids around which will result in a mess on the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_20161010_192946.jpg (146.2 KB, 61 views)

Last edited by maxjohnson; October 10, 2016 at 07:57 PM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #1944
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
I wonder if I'm insane to do this, but I'm starting tomato seeds. I just have a hunch from all I'm hearing that this winter will be warmer than usual thanks to global warming. Normally I start them around January and transplant them in mid Feb. I get harvest before April. I guess it would have to be a prolonged growth. Worst case scenario I'll be starting seeds again in two months.

I can't start any sooner than now with the whiteflies around and I don't have space to put all the plants inside, especially with kids around which will result in a mess on the floor.
From what I can see of NOAA’s forecast on Sep 15 is for normal temperatures for Oct, Nov and Dec for all of Florida. However, October alone appears to be forecast as modestly above normal. If your concern is it may be a bit too cold you could possibly try some of the varieties said to be good in cold weather such as Glacier.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2016   #1945
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

For your scrap book. The History of Hurricane Matthew:
Attached Images
File Type: gif Hurricane Matthew History 091138P_sm.gif (29.6 KB, 60 views)
Old October 10, 2016   #1946
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Better yet the Long Version:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matthew-history long version.jpg (85.0 KB, 60 views)
Old October 11, 2016   #1947
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone heard from Kay?

Ginny - I agree with Marsha; just do some. Maybe choose the cherry tomatoes, they seem to be less picky about the amount of sun.
You did great in PA and had a lot of shade.

Today was NOT hot; but it was so windy.

----
I started transplanting again today; the last time was on October 3rd; then I stopped b/c of the storm. All but 2 of my plants did fine inside but since they have been brought back out, a lot especially the dwarfs are collapsing. This is just like last year; totally good coloring, and not wilt because they are stiff; I guess they look mangled. I had previously only transplanted 4 of the dwarfs so some won't be grown at all.

I think the heat and water change affected the collapsing ones. They were all already super rootbound too.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #1948
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, can you show us a photo of whats going on with your seedlings collapsing?
I haven't heard of that.

I will be planting out today. I am up to 47 Earthboxes now, that gives me space for 94.

The rest will go into 7 gallon pots, and this year the pots are going to have the plastic bags from the promix and Tomato Tone under them, as a physical barrier to nematodes.

I use zip ties now to reclose the bottom of the cages we made for the Earthboxes.

I have to go to the community garden at 4 to organize things for the swap on Saturday. Some of my transplants are already over 1 foot!
Old October 11, 2016   #1949
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

This has been an interesting few days. I did loose power on Friday which happened to be my birthday. Since I am on a well that meant no water also. My trusty generator would not work and several friend tried to figure out what was wrong. T-Mobile had damage to their towers in my area. I could text but could not make phone calls and what data I could use reminded me of dial up. Since there were over 200,000 without power the electric company has done a good job restoring power. I think there are only 10,000 without power right now. The internet has been down this whole time and Comcast has not been good about keeping customers informed of progress. It is up for a few mintues at a time now so I guess they are working in my area.
My refrigerator decided to die and I had to buy a new one. I thought it would be hard to travel on busy roads with so many lights not working but people were very good about treating non functioning red lights like a 4 way stop. Since I lost all of my food I had to go grocery shopping and the stores are out of so many things. I did have a lot of large limbs fall but they were all away from the house. Some people were not so lucky.
And not one my outside tomato plants were damaged. It is hard to understand how they survived so well but I sure am happy they did.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2016   #1950
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Kay - So glad to hear from you and find that you are OK. Drag on losing electric for so long your food went bad.

Unbelievable that your outside tomato plants survived. Mine definitely would not have survived and since we are still in cleanup mode, I don't get to transplant the ones that should have been transplanted before the storm.

Ella - If you are reading this, the trees that really did do great were the MANGOS!!!!! The plants that did the best were the PINEAPPLES.

Marsha - I saw WHITEFLY eggs today. I have been so faithful with the yellow sticky cards too. I had 8 when they were seedlings and now 1 per transplant. So over 30 altogether. You think that would be enough. I'm convinced you get the fungal disease more and I get the bugs diseases.

Anyway, I don't know if I should bring the pepper plants; I want to be cautious and not spread any disease. Is there anyway to tell? I have something that I could bring for the sponsors if there aren't too many - it's not live or food. Besides you, how many other sponsors?

I will take a picture later
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote