Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 10, 2012   #241
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Like seeks it own kind...which explains why some people like Penny and Pepper Joe do not fit in AT ALL here. It was an interesting and not surprising read Mischka thanks for posting it. It was also interesting, and also not surprising to see who rose above the spin. I remain proud to be associated with the members and leaders of TomatoVille and will take this opportunity to thank you all for having me. It is, afterall, a privlege, not a right!

Last edited by Sun City Linda; December 11, 2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #242
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Right on!!!! I agree Linda, Mischka is polite taking this nasty writing.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #243
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Darrell's post is fantastic although I expect it to fall on deaf ears.

Some folks are satisfied with their contracts and agreements and their photos being pilfered off Google. So be it. Others want our permission to be asked first, especially if the photo is used as marketing material to sell a product.

Penny and Joe think that other people's time spent photographing tomatoes is worth nothing and neither want to pay for it, nor acknowledge it, nor even listen to requests to remove said photos. Is your time worth nothing?

I say take emotion out of it and just send in the DMCA Takedown Notices. Penny and Joe endlessly bang the drum about their wonderful business, so let's take the business approach instead of personal attacks.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #244
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Very nicely said feldon30!
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #245
maf
Tomatovillian™

Just in case anyone was wondering, one of my posts on page 6 (Reply #163) of the quoted thread at TDepot was redacted by the admin at that site. The removed portion simply stated that if I had to choose between supporting Joe and Penny or Tania I would take the side of Tania (and Ami who leapt to her defence). I didn't say anything that was insulting or controversial or illegal.

I like to think that one of the above persons' website is interested in promoting tomato knowledge and the other's is only interested in self-promotion. I will let each individual decide which is which.

Last edited by maf; December 10, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
maf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #246
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I got a bit perturbed at the way Tania was being treated. Not just once or twice, but continuing from emails to posts on msg boards. And I confess that I used a bit of psychological legerdemain to couch it so the possible counter posts are limited.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #247
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Obviously I got an 'alien' gene that gets me into trouble even when I don't say anything.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #248
Tania
Tomatovillian™

The Admin of TD forum has a right to do whatever he wants, I am OK with that. Everyone is in charge of their own destiny!

And I am free to choose the forum I like

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; December 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old December 10, 2012   #249
baileyj
Tomatovillian™

Tania,
I admire your strength through all this. It is difficult when it becomes personal. You have remained positve and strong. I am relatively new to this forum, but I recognize character when I see it. You have remained objective and respectful in all your comments here and on the other site. A role model to us all...
Judi
baileyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2012   #250
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Judi, thank you

It is the integrity and quality of my friend's hands and shoulders that makes me strong.

I did 'bite the bait' few weeks back - but hopefully I learned my lesson and will not repeat the mistakes anymore. I value the experience.

Thank you folks, I am so lucky to have you in my life!

maf, Darrel, Steve, thank you!

Tatiana's TOMATObase

Last edited by Tania; December 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typos fixed
Old December 11, 2012   #251
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think it's hilarious that all these other tomato forums rail against censorship, and then apply it indiscriminately when someone posts something they don't like. None of them are any better than any others.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #252
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I think the owner of each forum has a full right to run the forum the way he or she sees it. They invest their time and money to have us here sharing information and discussing things. So they can decide on how they want to see their forum evolve and who to welcome or not. I have no experience with it, but I suspect it is a very tough job to run a forum!

In the light of the recent events it became very clear to me why there should not be any threads on any forums trashing a 'competitive' forum. It is such a hot topic, and flames arise so easily, and many folks get hurt as a result, whether is was intended or not. These threads are destructive.

Tough job it is! My hat goes off to Mischka, who has managed to keep this forum thriving and attracting so many great folks. Look at many cool topics discussed here - what's a great contribution to gardening community, a wealth of knowledge and experience! This would not have existed now without Tomatoville.

I am grateful to be a guest here. I'd second Linda who said it is a privilege.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old December 11, 2012   #253
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

I'm completely new here, so I can't help but ask. Do any of the complaints have merit? Could I get banned simply for being on the other side of the argument?
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #254
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentiger87 View Post
I'm completely new here, so I can't help but ask. Do any of the complaints have merit? Could I get banned simply for being on the other side of the argument?
I have been in my fair share of "discussions" while here at Tomatoville. I haven't been banned yet and the people I had those discussions with were not banned either. I think it is fair to say that I have certain subjects I am very passionate about, that sometimes conflict with other equally passionate people.

But if I am judging Mischka correctly, it is not the disagreements that get you banned, it is unethical and disruptive behavior.

If you read the rules for the forum and follow them I don't see any problems no matter what your personal views are.

Basically it is about being respectful. Respect people for what they are. If it is a business and behaving ethically, respect that business. If it is an individual, respect that individual.

Or better put, be nice.

A great example would be Park seeds. They got a couple bad reviews here, they also got a couple good reviews here. But they didn't get all defensive and try and mount a war of words. They will solve their problems or they won't, time will tell. Meanwhile they are behaving like a business.

This whole fiasco with Penny's shouldn't have happened in the first place. I personally have nothing against them. For me it is just like Parks. They will solve their problems or they wont. They are not behaving like a business right now, but every business has a learning curve, time will tell.

I actually got some seeds marked "Penny's" in an exchange. So obviously they do have some happy customers at Tomatoville. How many I have no idea. Just like Parks, one thing can go wrong and it doesn't mean everything is wrong.

Hopefully they will learn to better handle business problems in the future better than they handled this one. Again, time will tell. We will see.

Meanwhile I will just get back to planning my 2013 ever expanding garden!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; December 11, 2012 at 08:20 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2012   #255
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Scott- there are some subjects though that are not discussed here-politics and religion are two that come to mind.

Tags
carolina reaper , deceitful , dishonest , joe arditi , lies , opinions , penny mohney , penny's tomatoes , pepper joe's , photo theft , reviews , untrustworthy