Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 27, 2011   #256
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
I get the plug flats from Johnnys, and the 4 inch plastic pots from a local garden supply center - they are made by the Kord company (that's what the box says). I think this year I am moving to the sheets of 18 3 inch square pots to save a bit on planting mix and allow 3 more pots in the basket trays I use. Plus, they are much less expensive than the individual plastic pots.
Thanks. And I was also wondering where you get your seed vials [to store the seed in]: the ones with all your seed in them in the first video.
Old February 27, 2011   #257
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ah - seed vials - I get the plastic vials with the snap on tops from E D Luce - cost isn't too bad.
Old February 27, 2011   #258
WillysWoodPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman View Post
Ah - seed vials - I get the plastic vials with the snap on tops from E D Luce - cost isn't too bad.
I found them--7 dram snap cap. Thanks

And the 50 cell flats from Johnny's

And the Metro Mix in your first video [I've got Pro-Mix BX but I would like to try your method, with the same products you use] I'm in the experimental stage(s) of Mater-Fever. I'm all over the map until I find what's right for me. You are a big help and I am grateful.

I like your Chocolate Labs in your avatar. I have an English Black Lab.
Old February 28, 2011   #259
kymaterjuice
Tomatovillian™

nctomatoman, when you plant your seeds , pot up, and transplant to final resting place, do you go by any zodiac / moon signs from the almanac? I usually do , but was wondering what you did and if you thought it made any difference to you.
kymaterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #260
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hey KY - no, I don't really do any of that....I just do what I do when I have the time to do it and the weather is cooperating!
Old March 1, 2011   #261
kymaterjuice
Tomatovillian™

[quote=nctomatoman;202298]Hey KY - no, I don't really do any of that....I just do what I do when I have the time to do it and the weather is cooperating![/quote

Thank you. BTW I tried your method of dense seed planting last year for the first time and I am totally sold on the idea. Absolutely the best IMO.
Good luck and happy gardening this year.
Old March 6, 2011   #262
kymaterjuice
Tomatovillian™

nctomatoman, when you transplant your pepper seedlings into seperate cups, do you plant them as deep (up to the first leaves) as you do the tomato seedlings? Thanks.
Old March 6, 2011   #263
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yes, I actually plant everything deep - meaning up to the leaves - flowers, eggplant, tomatillos, peppers, tomatoes, herbs - you name it. I think that the very young seedlings appreciate the extra support and protection of being in the mix.
Old April 25, 2011   #264
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Craig, after watching your videos I have three questions for you if you dont mind? First, after transplant when do you add the fertilizer? Second, what fertilizer do you recommend, and third, do you plant your personal tomatoes in containers or in the ground?

Thanks for your time
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2011   #265
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Hi there! I don't add any fertilizer until the plants go into their final spot for growth to fruiting - either the 5 gallon pots for dwarfs or determinates, or 10 gallon minimum for indeterminates - or the garden (which I do less and less). I've used two different foods - slow release types, like Vigoro tomato food or Osmocote - just a tbsp or two per plant/pot monthly. If the plants look like they need it, I will water them with the "blue stuff" (Miracle Gro balanced soluble fertilizer) at 1 tbsp per gallon.

As to where I plant them, pretty much all in pots these days, to ensure maximum sun, and to avoid the fusarium infected soil in my main garden,

hope that helps!
Old April 26, 2011   #266
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I like how your methods are simple and to the point.
mysidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011   #267
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Craig...when you say you transplant into 5 gallon containers...are you talking about swc or just a prepared mix which you water yourself? I have a daughter in Durham who wants to have tomato and pepper plants and I am trying to figure the best and easiest way. Thanks.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011   #268
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am the dirt cheap gardener - we use the black plastic pots that shrubs or perennials come in, or plastic grow bags that reuse every year - although if you include me as the mechanism, they are self watering (aka Craig watering - twice a day in the heat of the summer!)
Old April 26, 2011   #269
jamie_savoie
Tomatovillian™

Craig, I just want to thank you for sharing this method with everybody. I tried it this year and it worked like a charm! The only problem is you end up with so many seedlings because they almost all germinate hehehe

thanks for sharing
jamie_savoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2011   #270
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I suspect it is nothing really new.....I just tried it out of desperation to be able to create loads of seedlings without a greenhouse....glad people are finding it helpful!